Yamaha RX-V677 Digital Optical output

Mar 15, 2018
I currently have a working Sennheiser Flex 5000 (TV ears type) connected to one of the rca type audio outputs on my 10 yr old Panasonic Plasma TV. The Sennheiser transmitter also has a digital optical input (PCM only) for the audio. Would I get better audio using the digital input?
I do not have digital optical port on the old Plasma TV but have it connected by HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V677 AV Receiver. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to get the digital audio signal to the Flex 5000 unit??
I am using HDMI cables to connect everything...starting with the Set Top Box to the AVR to the Blu-Ray to the Plasma TV but even though I get the optical red signal in the Toslink cable, I get no sound on the headset. Even tried the optical out from the STB directly to the Flex 5000, but still no audio!
I am hoping that someone may be able to give me another way to fix this or maybe it is too much trouble for so little a gain in the audio response?
Thanks for reading all this.
Will

Solution
The receiver doesn't have optical audio outputs.
If you use the optical audio out from the STB you may need to set it to PCM stereo in the audio menu of the STB.
If the TV has coax digital audio out you can get a coax to optical converter.
After all that I doubt you will notice any difference but it might be a bit better.
The receiver doesn't have optical audio outputs.
If you use the optical audio out from the STB you may need to set it to PCM stereo in the audio menu of the STB.
If the TV has coax digital audio out you can get a coax to optical converter.
After all that I doubt you will notice any difference but it might be a bit better.

Solution