Yamaha RX-V781 wont turn on (bad HDMI board?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgbav72

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
Hello all,

I have for all intents and purposes a brand new RX-V781 receiver. I use it like once a year for a party. The thing was awesome and sounded great with both zones. I went to turn it on last week and nothing. I saw a blue message on the screen briefly, and then it went away and that was it. I did a few Google suggestions and nothing helped. So I brought it to the local AV repair store. They said it was a bad HDMI board and wanted $400 to fix it. For that price I can almost buy another one. I thought about contacting Yamaha and maybe buying the board myself. I dont know how much they cost or if I could even do it myself. Could someone like me be able to replace this board? Could a bad HDMI board cause the unit to not turn on at all? Just so frustrating, like I said this is basically brand new. It probably only has about 20-30 running hours. What a disappointment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Solution
If this is like $1,000 amplifier I suppose $400 to fix is reasonable, and you like its features blah-blah, otherwise I'd move on. I see $600 new on Amazon.

A street-Joe user typical can't buy stuff like that directly from Yamaha, they only sell them to authorized repair dealers, maybe from eBay.
If this is like $1,000 amplifier I suppose $400 to fix is reasonable, and you like its features blah-blah, otherwise I'd move on. I see $600 new on Amazon.

A street-Joe user typical can't buy stuff like that directly from Yamaha, they only sell them to authorized repair dealers, maybe from eBay.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.