Yes, Joss Whedon is Directing the Avengers Movie

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdeleon515

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I don't think Whedon does it right when it comes to comic book heroes. He's directed an animated short on Hulu about the X-men and it seems all wrong. At least some movies don't loose their super hero appeal or move it in a direction that is improved. Gotta give props to Robert Downey Jr as Tony Starks or Nolan's take on Batman. Fantastic Four was just awful and I can Avengers going the same way. I'll also add that I did like Serenity (the Firefly movie) but not much overall from Whedon's work.

For the record, its not like M. Knight Shamalon is directing the film LOL!

I think that is a bit harsh.

Josh produced an excellent series with Firefly, and making it a kind of futuristic coyboy setting was pure genious in terms of more universal appeal. The Serenity movie was a blast too.

I was just pissed they killed off the pilot in the movie ( Wash) as his sense of humour was just awesome. The character interaction in the series was superb. I think a Serenity 2 would be unthinkeable though ...

All of the producers make a few lemons and I would like to see what he can do with this one.

Plus he wrote the title music ...

Can't say I am much of a fan of any of the Marvel movies ...

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I've enjoyed everything Joss Whedon has done since Buffy the Vampire Slayer so I'll want to see this. His stuff is usually mostly fun with very little cry-baby drama.

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]It will be worse. Whedon is overrated, and anything he touches turns to douche. Aliens 4, anyone? The only reason he still has a career in Hollywood is because his fans are willing to murder those who talk the truth about their god-man.[/citation]
Agreed. I don't think people understand how bad this guy is. He didn't direct Alien 4, he WROTE it. He is literally the reason alien 4 came out like garbage. Plus, buffy the vampire slayer...the series that ruined sara michelle's career? Cmon folks, if you can't see this train wreck coming then there is no saving you...or this movie.

G

Actually most of Whedon's alien four script was completely reworked. That said, hey, fellows who think this is the same universe as the Fantastic Four and X-Men movies? It's not. It's a completely different Marvel universe, just as this is not the same Universe as the standard Marvel Universe, nor is it the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

So no, it won't be confusing, because no one watched Fantastic four, as it sucked. Oh so bad.

Whedon's a great writer and director, and also writes wonderful comics (please see Astonishing X-Men).

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]adikos[/nom]"The one with diane rigg, where she kicks really high" - al bundy.[/citation]

Married with Children quote +10212321312 XD

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Whedon is a great writer/director. Buffy, Angel, Firefly were all amazing. Dollhouse was pretty good, but IMO was his worst project.

johnnyho

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I can't believe they put their flagship movie in the hands of a guy who has ONE major motion picture directorial credit to his name.

ONE.

Lot's of TV directorial credits... but only ONE movie credit. TV and movies are two very different beasts.

Whedon may be a talented writer. But a good (or experienced) motion picture director he is not.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Mark Ruffalo has already been confirmed as the hulk by Samuel L. Jackson, at a Marvel event. Im not really psyched about him being hulk since he looks like an old washed up actor, but I am really anxious to se Scarlott Johansen in Black Widow latex, wooooooooooooo

crazitrain02

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Unless the Fantastic Four meet the Avengers then it's gonna confuse people.[/citation]
Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johansson at the same time?!
I may now die happy :)

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I think that Captain America is simply too out of touch with the times. People a much more (and thankfully so) cynical and untrusting these days. Here's the problem. If his portrayal is too faithful he would be hopelessly jingoistic. Yet, if he is any less, than than it defeats the whole idea of having a name like "Captain America." If you were to re-interpret the Capt. as a character who is fanatically patriotic only in the liberal sense instead (i.e. you love countries ideals, the ones it may not always succeed at upholding, but is hopefully striving to better achieve) than the hero might as well call himself, "Captain Freedom" or perhaps "Captain Justice".

Status
Not open for further replies.