Yes, Please: A Nexus Two in Time for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The American market (and Americans by extension) are not ready for contract-less phones or the idea of purchasing a phone for full price and THEN shopping for a carrier. The consumers don't know what is available and, more importantly, the phone carriers more often than not are not willing to cooperate. On the chance that the carrier is willing to cooperate and offer contract-less service the service is usually exceedingly overpriced considering you are taking the burden of subsidizing a phone out of their hands.

The Nexus Two will be a market failure just as the Nexus One was if Google follows the same distribution pattern.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I believe it when it actually gets released. Way too many TEGRA...

what happened to HTC, LG and Samsung Tegra devices that were promised?

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Now that is good news.

An Android phone, sold without any non-SENSE to BLUR the experience would be just what Google needs right now.

That is a phone I would buy. Make it Apple and Windows-like by saying "hands off the phone", and people will buy it because they know what they're buying- and they don't need to hack the phone to get it to work the way they want.

The Nexus Two should be sold on the Google website, in partnership with the different carriers for your region that have decided to offer a subsidy on the 'Two. That way, Google can handle the warranties and support issues that come up just like the other makers do.

This has to be a phone that people want so that carriers will accept that they can't annoy their customers but still offer the subsidy.

That way, the phone will succed.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I wish more of these phones were using Tegra. Whenever I use my Zune HD, I am always surprised to see how much faster it is and smoother the graphics are versus my Evo with its snapdragon processor. And my Zune is running the original Tegra not the Tegra 2.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Somewhat skeptical of Gingerbread being released in time for December. We haven't even seen any announcements yet, and very few (if any) leaks of devices and OS details.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
It seems weird that Moto would go for the Tegra 2 as opposed to OMAP 4 considering that they usually favor TI's SoCs.

Of course I have no idea how the Tegra 2 stocks up against the OMAP 4 but since they're both using Cortex A9-derivatives and the specs in general look similar I can't think it's a performance advantage.

Time will tell I suppose but I'm a bit skeptical about this.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]fflam[/nom]t-mobile has contract-less plans and they are CHEAPER then the contracted plans.. the only "down side" is you have to buy a phone at full price, or already own one. The 2 year contract price is with a discounted phone, and personally i have never had a problem with t-mobile. link to pricinghttp://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans [...] individual[/citation]

You cited the ONLY carrier that offers competitive contract-less pricing and their pricing is STILL overpriced considering you are saving them the upfront cost of subsidizing the phone.

Check out VerizonWireless. 450 minutes for $65. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=prepayItem&action=viewPrepayMonthlyPlans&type=mnth_smart&tab=text

Sprint - No plans offered.

AT&T - $75 for unlimited talk, text, and a whopping 200MB of data. What a deal. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp

Like I said, Americans and American service providers are not ready/willing to go the route the rest of the world has already embraced. T-Mobiles contract-less offering only looks reasonable in comparison to other corporations. When compared to industrialized nations across the pond T-Mobile is a freaking rip-off.

Trizomik

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Oh yes! I'm so happy!
Always wanted one, when I was ready to order, the online store was not available anymore...

I do know what will be my x-mas gift :D

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I'll get excited once I start seeing specs/pricing. If the Nexus Two is done properly, it could be the phone to get me to break my iPhone contract early (otherwise, waiting until it runs out in May before I switch to an android-based phone), but since the unsubsidized cost of a phone like that is likely to be in the $500-600 range, it's going to have to be pretty awesome to pull the trigger on it.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Several manufacturers have made a very serious mistake. They've released phones with the very latest Qualcomm CPU clocked at 800MHz. The official minimum requirement for Gingerbread is 1GHz. So even though the newer 800MHz Qualcomm processor is more powerful than the 1GHz Snapdragon in the Nexus One these newer handsets will never, ever get Gingerbread. Whoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.