(Yet another) Laptop Buying Assistance Post

Scdc44

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
I've been combing through previously asked questions regarding laptops, and I see several of the same things, but its always a choice on 5-6 different laptops (Oh, this is good, so is this, and don't forget that one). I am looking for the best overall bang for my buck, so I thought that I might post here. I am more than willing to spend a bit getting something customized, if the benefit is worth the cost.

1. What is your budget?
$1500. Not a hard limit, and can go higher or lower, but this is my preferred price (I want it to last, I bought my last laptop 8 years ago and it still runs things.... albeit barely)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Doesn't matter-- Prefer nothing smaller than 13" or bigger than 17"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Undecided-- Preferably higher resolution (I don't want 1366 x 768)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I am going to carry it around regularly so would prefer something a bit lighter, but do not mind something heavier (Good exercise). I am using it as my only computer.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Best possible. I would like to be able to run it for at least 3 hours off the charger

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, on high end settings-> Something that in the future when the laptop is old and outdated it will still run the new stuff on low settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'm in college, so I use it as my daily computer. I'm going in to computer programming and graphic design.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
This is a secondary priority for me-- I can always buy an external hard drive. Enough to put games on the computer though, so it does need... a bit,

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Nothing

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I would prefer to keep it 5+, but if it lasts for 3 I'll be happy

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
CD/DVD ROM/Writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Nada.

13. What country do you live in?
U.S

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Eventually I plan on building myself a good desktop, but that is going to be ~4 years down the road. I would like the new laptop to work until then, and work decently.
If I didn't give enough information, or my thoughts are unrealistic for anything, please let me know