Yikes: The Galaxy Tab is Going to be Expensive

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I already have an EVO. The only way I would get a tablet would be for my kids to play with and tether it with the EVO's 3G/4G with WiFi Tethering.

If one could be had for a flat price of ~ $300 without involving a carrier and/or data plan, I would plunk down the $$ for it.

onetwo3

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
[citation][nom]dieseldre2k[/nom]I just read the following on Yahoo! Finance:Doesn't look like it's going to be as expensive as Tom's says. In fact, it should be cheaper than the iPad, which does makes sense.[/citation]

It's not about the retail price of the final product. It's about the the subsidized version with mobile providers. Add to this monthly 20-30€ for two years and then you have a really expensive tablet.

I'm disappointed in Samsung. They have the right product but instead they would grab the whole market with the right price they rather try to play Apple and tax extra. For me smaller screen and lower storage capacity and for Samsung brand 300-400€ non subsidized price is acceptable. Sorry guys I won't pay Samsung tax this time :)

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]johmm[/nom]techguy... can you explain how you gonna use it as a phone.so you go to the pub with friends and you have a purse with the tab in with you? you go see a football game en the purse is still with you? if you gonna say no than i have my regural phone with me, i don't see why it easy that you can use it as a phone. if you can give a other solution/use of the phone cabelity i like to hear about it.[/citation][/citation]
I have a Scottevest jacket which has a pocket big enough to comfortably fit an iPad. So carrying the Samsung Tab around should not be a problem since every serious tech person has a Scottevest jacket.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]alilsneaky[/nom]It won't be 890 dollars if it's 699 euros.European retailers always just convert american prices 1/1 to euros and get away with it.If you pay 200 dollars for a phone we pay 200 euros for it...If it ends up costing 890 dollars then we'll end up paying 890 euros.Oh wait then you'll pay over 1000 dollars! oh wait then we'll pay over 1000 euros ! oh wait then... see where I'm going with this?[/citation]

In Portugal they even add more, because most time they buy their merchandise from Spain, and not from the manufacturer distributor.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I think they are really positioning this pad to be a smartphone replacement. Use a bluetooth headset so you aren't talking directly on this bulky smartphone but you pick this over the smaller phone. Combined with the contract the price won't be too much higher than other smart phones. Not sure how many people will replace their phone with this thing though.

G

Haw Haw. Look people this shouldn't have to be explained. If the combined, imagined might of the computer manufacturers aligned against Apple couldn't defeat the iPod and took three years to make a credible competitor to the iPhone, what or who, exactly, is going to take on the iPad? Because here is a clue: all the background in netbooks and disposable laptops is not going to gift competitors with special insight into how to take on the iPad.

G

In Sweden, the cheapest iPad is currently sold for 930 to 1160 USD, depending on the store.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]I think they are really positioning this pad to be a smartphone replacement. Use a bluetooth headset so you aren't talking directly on this bulky smartphone but you pick this over the smaller phone. Combined with the contract the price won't be too much higher than other smart phones. Not sure how many people will replace their phone with this thing though.[/citation]
Um, so where do you but the tablet? In your back pocket? Oh wait... no... ya I think you are way off on your "smartphone replacement" analysis. The whole point of the cell phone is that it fits in your pocket.

G

> $200 and $300, although the final price would vary depending on different carrier subsidies.

You get that you still pay the carrier subsidy, right? You just pay it over the course of the 2 year life of the device.

If $200 and $300 that is $600 and $700, which is the same price as iPad 3G. But you're getting a device that is half the screen area of iPad, half the battery life, and has at best 10% of the software. Not just in apps but in system software, where OS X is already a full-size system. And you have to commit to a contract for 2 years, while iPad can stop and go as required and has a super-cheap Wi-Fi only option because it's not sold by carriers. The $499 iPad is only $99 more than the carrier subsidy you will pay over 2 years on Galaxy Tab.

Even if you are a fiend for Android, you are much better off with a smartphone that has Wi-Fi sharing and an iPad Wi-Fi for $499.

G

The price is real, at least as an MSRP. For Example, O2 Germany have comfirmed on Twitter that they'll sell it for € 759.

Of course, there are 3 factors in favor of consumers that we should keep in mind:

1. Samsung's MSRP are always generous. You'll probably get this baby for €650 from Amazon (.co.uk/.fr/.de).
2. Samsung's prices keep sliding all the time. The Galaxy Tab might sell for less than €500 on Amazon after Christmas.
3. € pricepoints always include sales taxes. Compared to the US, Europe generally has higher sales taxes and lower income taxes. So don't trust the exchange rate calculator verbatim. €799 MSRP will very much equal $799 in the US and you might be able to get it for $600 from Amazon (.com).

One factor working against consumers is the US carriers' powermongering and Samsung's desire to be their b***. Samsung will try to sell this as a Christmas exclusive to the carriers first, so I wouldn't be surprised if in the US, you won't be able to get the Galaxy Tab without contract before next year. $300 (as someone quoted up there) will very likely be the price when you sign up for a costly data plan (comparable to the Dell Streak) with Verizon or Sprint.

G

Two points:

(1) Unless the product includes a cellular data contract, there's no reason for US carriers to sell it and Samsung doesn't have an alternate retail distribution channel like Apple retail stores.

(2) Some people are mistakenly convinced that Apple products are high priced (like the Mac was 15 years ago before Steve Jobs returned). Today Apple is one of the most efficient PC makers on the planet. The truth is, nobody else can build and retail a similar tablet as cheaply as Apple. They don't have the volume and long term investments to do it.

Don't be surprised if Android based tablets include cellular data contracts that make them much more expensive than the iPad.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
I ain't gonna get something from Samsung for that price.
Samsung's gadgets are always full of bugs, very late to no updates/bug-fixes availability, and no one is gonna pick up the phone if you try to contact the customer service.
Samsung products are a complete tr*sh!
I am speaking based of my own Wave S8500 and Spica I5800 experiences.
I thought they were interresting smartphones with interesting price, but they are actually only cheap tr*sh.
Now such price for things like that....sorry dude..I ain't buying it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS