Yoga 3 Pro Freezes Constantly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurdekye

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
I've had my Yoga 3 Pro for about a year now, and so far it's served me incredibly well. Just recently however, it began freezing randomly during use for no discernable reason. The screen would lock up, any sounds playing would either stop or repeat indefinitely, and I would end up having to restart it. It slowly began happening more and more often, until I decided to refresh my OS from the built in recovery partitíon that comes with the laptop. After finishing and deleting a couple unnecessary bloatware programs, the problem only seemed to just get worse somehow. Now, it freezes once every 5-10 minutes, and I can barely get any work done on it. Do I have any other options besides sending it back to Lenovo? I can't easily go without my laptop for that long.

quant4780

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
This might be the solution. I've had this Yoga 3 Pro freezing problem for about 6 months. It's only the last month that I discerned it would freeze when the screen was moved. Apparently there's a sensor in the hinge.

I read in this thread that disabling the wifi adapter seemed to keep it from freezing so as weird as it sounded, I went into the device manager to try disabling it. Instead, before disabling it, I right-clicked to see if there was a driver update (for the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter driver under Network Devices). There was an update available, which is unusual, as I don't think I've ever had it find an update through the device manager. So, I let it update over the web and it completed in about 20 seconds.

I then moved the screen again to test it, and it froze again --- just like the previous 7-10 freezes I'd just endured in the past 30 minutes, which always required a hard reboot by holding down the power button.

Seeing it didn't work, I rebooted, realizing the driver was updated but obviously not loaded until rebooted (duh). I rebooted and have not had it freeze since, even though in the past whenever I would move the screen (open or close it even a tiny bit), it would freeze. I'm swinging it forward and back full tilt now and nothing. No freezing.

Is it fixed? Seems to be but time will tell. If it lasts the week, I'll consider it a true fix and will post back here. If it turns out to be a true fix, this should be reposted on Lenovo and other forums as I've looked everywhere for a solution to this and know that many others are also trying to solve this VERY annoying problem and that Lenovo has been 100% USELESS in solving it (shame on them for their horrid support in handling this major problem). Did I mention I will never buy another Lenovo as long as I live after this? Nice going, Lenovo. Anyway, it can't hurt to at least try disabling/updating the Broadcom driver if you have this freezing issue.

I was on Windows 8.1 for the past 9 months or so, then just upgraded to Windows 10 thinking it might help fix the freezing, but it didn't help at all. As a side note, if you're on Windows 10 or thinking of upgrading, I recommend Spybot's free Anti-Beacon, which is anti-telemetry software that blocks Win 10 from calling home and wherever else and spying the crap out of you (I'm about to switch to Apple as Microsoft is being a bunch of evil nitwits with this pure spyware masquerading as an operating system).

Let me know if either disabling or updating the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter driver helps anyone else. Just right click it under Network Adapters and then click "Update Driver Software" or you can try disabling it from there if no update is available. For me, it updated to version 7.35.338.0, which was released 12/10/2015, so it's a pretty recent update.

Maybe it's just a weird coincidence because who on earth would suspect that a wifi driver would have anything to do with a laptop freezing when the screen is moved/adjusted? Bizarre. But, I'm VERY happy for now. If this ends up being the fix, major props and thanks to Revihs for pointing out this apparent connection between the freezing and the wifi driver. Would not have guessed that in a million years.

GeekMan108's solution worked for me too: 2014 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro w/ Windows 8.1. Started freezing for no apparent reason 2 months ago (Jan 2016). Performed a laptop 'refresh' - didn't solve it. Manually performed an 'update device driver' within device manager and it said I had the latest network adapter driver (Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter). Continued to freeze up. Decided to download the latest driver and 'force' an update for my particular OS/adapter specs. So far - it's worked. No freezing despite opening/closing laptop and moving it around repeatedly. Any other time I moved the laptop even slightly would cause it to freeze. Keeping fingers crossed for now, but my thanks too goes to this forum if this sticks as there is no way I would have ever arrived at this solution.

Mark_142

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
I was able to confirm on my Windows 8.1 that disabling the Broadcom wireless adapter temporarily resolved the issue. I was running the latest Broadcom driver available on Lenovo's support site, 6.35.223.2, and called into support for additional troubleshooting. The hardware department had me upgrade the Intel wireless adapter and then transferred me over to software support when that did not resolve the issue. Software support then wanted to charge me a $99 troubleshooting fee as my system is out of support and I had them transfer me back to hardware support.

Chris at hardware support was very helpful and had me revert my driver 6.30.223.102 through Device Manager (adapter, driver, revert to previous version.) This has resolved my issue and Chris has created an internal document for his team to reference if anyone else calls in with this issue.

CapreolusCapreolus

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Had that issue now for half a year, together with connection problems of my bluetooth mouse. Tried all of your advices, nothing helped for good.
What i then did was to unhide the hidden devices in the device manager. Uninstalled all double network devices. After that i updated the chipset driver directly from the intel website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/1145/Intel-Chipset-Software-Installation-Utility
It helped! All good. Everything works, no freezing anymore! No more connection problems with my bluetooth mouse.

cupoftea

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Hi,

What exactly do you mean by 'double network devices'? In my list of hidden network devices, there are no duplicates in the strict sense. What I am taking you to mean, is to uninstall the greyed out devices?

Here are the hidden devices on my list;
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #6 [greyed out]
Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Microsoft Wi-Fi direct Virtual Adapter #2 [greyed out]
Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface

So here, I would uninstall ISAP Adapter #6 and the Virtual Adapter #2, and only those?
By the way, all of the hidden drivers were 'up to date'.

Also, did you uninstall the Broadcom 802.11 Adapter before you reinstalled the chipset driver?

Thanks

CapreolusCapreolus

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Hi cupoftea,

yes you should at least uninstall ISAP Adapter #6 and the Virtual Adapter #2.

I uninstalled all doubled (greyed out) devices with identical names, and those with numbers behind.

I did not uninstall the Broadcom 802.11 Adapter before i updated the chipset driver directly from the intel website.

Hope that helps you, my yoga 3 pro is still working :) without freezing

Good Luck

cupoftea

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Your method worked - thank you so much. The screen no longer freezes when I move it (especially when I move it fast or jerk it slightly, which I could before be 100% certain that it would freeze). I'm not going to say it is a true fix yet though, as I thought the Broadcom driver update fixed it for me and then the problem started again. I will provide updates if it continues to work.

cupoftea

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
UPDATE: It's been 24 hours and the problem has returned.

I tried reinstalling the chipset driver to no avail.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I will try to do a factory reset of windows 10 and see if that does anything.

CapreolusCapreolus

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Hi Cupoftea,

factory reset did not work for me.

You can try to update the Energy Management and the Flight Mode Driver from the Lenovo Support site:

http://support.lenovo.com/za/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-3-pro-1370-laptop-lenovo?beta=false

I am now running my Yoga 3 Pro for 2 weeks with no more freezing.

Good Luck.

mmwada

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
I don't have a solution but I can add to this thread. My Yoga 3 Pro is 4 months old and I have similar symptoms where the my laptop would freeze intermittently. I spent a whole day and a half with Lenovo tech support trying to resolve this concern. Even after finding what was doing it tech support still wanted me to reinstall Windows again.

Lenovo Solution Center once found an error with the wireless card. Several times the diagnosis never completed because the laptop would freeze. Once for a whole day the laptop wouldn't boot and I finally figured out why. Twice when closing the lid (screen) the battery was dead the next morning even though there was 100 percent the night before.

Reinstalling the different wireless card drivers did sometimes get my computer working but I feel it was just a coincidence. Whenever the laptop wouldn't boot, I could always get it to run by going into safe mode. Once I saw the wireless card wasn't even listed in the device manager and this is when the laptop would always run but I had no internet.

Ok, this is what I found but I don't know what the repair is. I was told that I had to send it in for repair. The problem with my laptop has to do with the position of the screen. Once when it wouldn't boot, all I did was move the screen and it booted. I can move the screen and see the wireless card have a good and bad connection. Now I have the screen in a fixed position and it boots all the time and there is no freezing.

I won't be sending the laptop in for a month and a half since I need to use it although it has now turned into a desktop since I can no longer move it. Maybe in the mean time someone might find a solution where the laptop doesn't need to be sent in.

WildBoars

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Hi Caprelous,

I installed the Chipset driver from your link, but it's not showing up on my Device Manager :(

The repeat Adapters, and dreaded Broadcom keep popping back up no matter how many times I uninstall them... (and restart the computer)

What do you think I'm doing wrong? Is there a setting I need to switch to manual??

aaaaa what a horrible ordeal with this pain in the @$$ computer

thank you :)

tclanton01

Commendable
May 16, 2016
I wanted to thank you. I have also struggled with this for 3 months. I thought I needed a new CPU. I bought an extra 1 year of software warranty from LENOVO....several hours of work on two different days, nothing changed. Downloaded a new Windows 10...no help, lots of hassle. I did not get rid of any network adapters, just right clicked on Broadcom.802.ilac in the network adapaters and it let me download an updated version. Everything has worked. Wonderful. I thought I would have to dump this Lenovo YOGA Pro 3. Works great now.

Two days later, back to doing it again...just when the screen is moved though. only happens when moving the screen hinge towards me...then completely freezes.

rafy69

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

rafy69

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
I had the same trouble (freezing). I check all soft solutions (format windows partition at the end!!!)) and the only one was to enter in boot system and disable wifi.
At the end, I opened the Yoga pro 3 and remove the wifi card to see it before purchasing a new one. Is it very easy to access and remove it. The computer work well without (exept wifi!!!)
before purchasing iIreplaced the wifi card and suprise it's work well !!! perhaps it's only a very very old question of expansion due to warm that disabled hard connection. I hope. if not I will purchase a new wifi card nearby 30 euro at ebay.

PS: Wifi card is on the right of motherboard and have a MAC adress written. Spare lenovo number is 20200480

Jsilfa

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Let me know if either disabling or updating the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter driver helps anyone else. Just right click it under Network Adapters and then click "Update Driver Software" or you can try disabling it from there if no update is available. For me, it updated to version 7.35.338.0, which was released 12/10/2015, so it's a pretty recent update.

I tried this solution and so far it has worked out for me. It is an odd problem considering that if I even try to "enable" the Broadcom adapter, the system instantly freezes.

I'm having to tether my computer to my phone to get an internet connection (USB, Bluetooth).

Does anyone know of a more comprehensive solution to this issue? Has Lenovo offered a fix or update?

This thread was very useful; thanks to everyone!

rafy69

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Dear Jsilfa
Take few minutes to open the computer remove and replace the broadcom. there's always some small tension in a computer. Remove it is the only way to be at 0.00000 volts in the broadcom.
2 weeksd after the trouble never appears again.

Neil_44

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

Did you find a solution to the computer locking up every time you move it? Mine is doing the same exact thing.

TingTing_1

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Hi there,

i am experiencing the same issue as well, and i have checked on the device manager about the boardcom network adaptor and unfortunately, there didn't show any upgrade available and kept saying mine is up to date which is 802.11ac.

does anyone have any other methods?

thanks
stella

benovo

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
Hi everybody, I had the same problem. Stop blaming the software, it is a hardware problem, and you owe it to Lenovo. No re-install or driver change will permanently solve the issue (not in my case at least).

The good news is, it is actually quite easy to solve it by yourself. Check out this thread: forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-3-Freezes-when-moved/td-p/2112947/page/2

Masita_1

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016

I know this has been a while, but does replacing the coax cable solve the problem?

Realtor1

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.