You Are Just 4.74 Steps Away From Everyone on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
The conclusion that there are fewer than previously expected jumps between users is based on the finding that, as you can see above...
I don't see anything "above". Did you plagiarize this article and forget to proof your theft?

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]I don't see anything "above". Did you plagiarize this article and forget to proof your theft?[/citation]
Try clicking the source link...

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I doubt I'll encounter someone from the other side of the planet even if I reached 9 degrees.. Especially someone not speaking my native language.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]rb420[/nom]Try clicking the source link...[/citation]
If it's from the source link, everything from the source should be in quotes. If it's not in quotes, it is implied that he wrote it himself. Since it's not in quotes and he's referring to something "above" to me, it implies something is very, very wrong.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]I doubt I'll encounter someone from the other side of the planet even if I reached 9 degrees.. Especially someone not speaking my native language.[/citation]

You will be surprised. I'm on the other side of the planet and I'm only 3 hops away from Bush, Obama, Hu Jintao or even Gaddafi & Sadam Hussein (before they where killed). None of them speaks my native language.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
six degrees of inner mas turbulence.

That's because people connects to more than real friends and family and tend to accept "third-parties" what shortens the paths. But out of those 100 friends... it's likely that 50% are friends and family and the other 50% is "other contacts"

Just like in LinkedIn you try to get to connect to everyone in order to have more chances of getting a job.

G

People have 190 friends? That made me laugh. Those are real friends they are just people added to their list so they can feel popular on Facebook.

G

Soooooo.. Mark Zuckerberg is my Friend's Friend's Friend's Friend's Friend??? :p

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]this is BS not everyone is on facebok, NO ONE is 4.74 steps from me cause I am NOT on the generation destroying Facebook[/citation]
You know someone on Facebook, they are 4.74 steps away from everyone so therefore you are 5.74 steps from everyone, it's still a pretty small world.

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
"maximum average of 4.74 hops"

So, is it a maximum, or an average? Surely it must be an average, as there isn't just .74 of a user. But what is "maximum" supposed to indicate? Did they take separate averages? Of what?

Status
Not open for further replies.