You Gotta' Be Kidding Me!

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hey,

I have a choice between purchasing two laptops. I have a rebate coupon and only need to pay an extra £300 to purchase either laptop. I seem to have a dilemma with the CPU vs GPU between both the laptops however.

Now obviously I won't be die hard gaming though installing Battlefield 4 and having some fun when it comes out and future-proofing the purchase a few years won't hurt but the specification of either laptop is like god punishing me or something!

The laptop specs are:

1) i7-3630QM (6M QUAD CORE 2.6) with 7670M GPU

2) i5-3337U (3M DUAL CORE 1.8) with GT730m GPU

With both being the same screen size and at the same price I would naturally have gone with the i7 as its on top of its class with a not so shabby GPU to go with it.

However I then stumbled across the specs of the second laptop and at first I giggled at the CPU compared to the first laptop, until I saw the graphics card it was carrying... A gt730m which just simply blows the 7670m out of the water by 50%! It's like manufacturers intentionally do this to take the peanuts!

I have two questions here:

1) Which laptop would you choose and why? (medicore use + medium gaming)

2) Is it possible to 'upgrade' the CPU of the second laptop? I googled the CPU itself and I can't seem to find it or its bigger brothers in standalone form so I'm guessing no?

So I have a choice of going with either a 200% CPU increase, or loose that for 50% GPU increase. What a choice to be forced to make. All the help I can get is appreciated!

Thanks guys!

xtra0rdinaryxd

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

A fast dual core i5 is good enough for gaming, I would go for the better gpu since your focus is on gaming.
To answer your second question, the i5 is not up-gradable because it uses bga which means it's soldered to the motherboard.

frillybob101

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

Bumping is not allowed. I got nailed for that once and I only did it once. I think you have all the answers you are going to get. Everyone here says go with the better GPU.