You'll Need to Learn Chinese to Read the Internet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Chinese is spoken by the Chinese, English is used pretty much by everyone else (for official purposes), including many Chinese. Yes, there are billions of Chinese, but the global market has, for the most part, settled on English. When my products start saying 中国制造 instead of "Made In China", then I'll start worrying.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Nice theory :). Fortunately, the colonial days are over. In USA we just benefit from the success of England, being former part of its colonial empire...

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
buncha americans too lazy to learn another language is what im reading. and throwing such a fit because it was suggested, xenophobes? firefly was a badass show btw. and latin is the universal language that spawned most of what europe speaks. english is one of the hardest languages to learn for anyone else. its a gross bastardization of german. learn one of the romance languages and youll probably be able to pick up the other ones pretty quickly.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I hate this globalist propaganda, the elites have for a long time built up China on the backs of it's people who work as slaves while destroying the futures of millions in Europe and America.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
yeah.. lemme take a stab at a number... 80%; the number of internet sites in chinese that have little to no relevance to a reader who speak primarily english, *boom* roasted.

tseska69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I hate this globalist propaganda, the elites have for a long time built up China on the backs of it's people who work as slaves while destroying the futures of millions in Europe and America.[/citation]
Gelnn Beck, is that you?

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Well, I don't see how this changes anything. The dominance of English hasn't exactly caused other world languages like Spanish, French or German to disappear from the world wide web.

There's plenty of room for everyone, so how is this news?

Of course, it's a good motivation to learn Chinese. I might learn it some day (I don't really get where Americans get this 'English is good enough for everyone'-attitude from, can't you see learning multiple languages is a good thing?)

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The thing that irritates me most about china is I spent my time learning Japanese to do business in Asia and German for Europe. My German is still quite helpful but my Japanese isn't all that useful now so I guess I have to start working on learning Chinese.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Errr..I have to point out that India's internet presence is growing as well, and most of us use English online. So I think with that and with English being preferred by US, Canada, Europe, Australia, we certainly have a good chance to keep English dominant.

And even if Chinese still becomes dominant, it'll not mix with the mainstream internet. I mean, I never see a website in any other language on the net unless I specifically look for it. My language preferences take care of that. What will happen is that there will be lots of Chinese websites that are invisible to other users.

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I'm all for this. I can only speak English, but if this means I will not have to contend with as many terribly spelled, horribly conjugated, and altogether embarrassing examples of 'English' that can be found on YouTube, various forums, or TomsHardware, then I for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords.

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
the internet should have a multitude of languages and cultures. It's a global communication tool, people should have access in whatever language they are most comfortable in. This sort of thing isn't mutually exclusive. even if Chinese becomes the most common language there will still be plenty of English (and others) for those that don't speak Chinese. Even if Chinese does someday become the universal language of the internet, it's not as if you're going to roll out of bed one day and find google is suddenly incomprehensible.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
The Chinese don't even have a fully consolidated modern language, it's just not going to happen. Kind of like base 12 and/or base 16 math is superior to base 10, no amount of touting the metric system at base ten will fix the facts.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Well, I don't see how this changes anything. The dominance of English hasn't exactly caused other world languages like Spanish, French or German to disappear from the world wide web. There's plenty of room for everyone, so how is this news? Of course, it's a good motivation to learn Chinese. I might learn it some day (I don't really get where Americans get this 'English is good enough for everyone'-attitude from, can't you see learning multiple languages is a good thing?)[/citation]

Cant you see the benefit of one universal language? You don't think the one universal language should be english, ok fine. Pick one and see if you can convince the world to adopt it. Until then, the rest of us that know english will be using english.

jaghpanther

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
But which Chinese language are they speaking about? As Elkien pointed out, there are several "Chinese" languages. I remember seeing stats a while back that claimed India would surpass China in population by 2050. Does this mean in the next couple of years we'll see a chart stating that the dominate language on the net could be...English or variations there of?

Status
Not open for further replies.