Your opinion on the Macbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Hello!

I am curious to know the communities view on the Macbook. Do you think it is a good buy? Why or why not?

And if possible compare it to a Windows-based PC!

Ultimate_Destructo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
basically with macbooks you pay a ton more for the same specs and the added bonus of a smaller and lighter computer. i favor vista a lot more than macOS in almost every way as long as you have a powerful enough machine.

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
well first you pay for the customer serverice i have an iphone and itouch and they replaced it right on the spot same with a friends mac book, but other than that i think they are a bunch of crap.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
haha any details on why they are crap or just because ure not used to it?

i just wonder...i own a mac (as well as PC...im not biased) and it compells me when torrent downloaders buy PCs and fill up their computers with viruses and/ or antivirus software.

i obviously prefer the mac and i agree with frozenlead that a PC is a better buy if all u need is gaming

for everything else: mac. any opposition?

frozenlead

Distinguished

This is not what I said. I said:

Mac: Use when you absolutely NEED OS X for some reason
PC: Use at all other times

socialstealth

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
First of all, if you need OS X, just buy a PC, uninstall windows, and install OS X on it. Thus you just saved $500+.

Apple doesn't make motherboards. Apple doesn't make processors. Apple doesn't make harddrives. Apple doesn't make GPU's.
Neither does hp, dell, or (insert your favorite computer company (except asus, msi, etc)).

They buy the components from manufacturers. Apple simply chargers a higher premium on its parts.
Buying an apple computer is like going to a car dealership for parts. You'll get charged retail + a !@#$ed up premium.

Buying an apple computer is like paying $30,000 for a 2005 toyota camry. Yeah, its reliable, but at what price? (obv an 05 camry wouldn't cost $30k).

Apple's computers are designed very well. However, they're over priced...by a lot.

Typically when people compare Apple to other computers, they compare apples to oranges (lol).

People say, I bought a dell and it broke in 3 weeks and it was a pos at that. Then they bought a macbook pro and it was amazing and they still have it 2 years later.
Well when your comparing a $400 dell to a $1500 macbook pro, obviously the $1500 computer is better.

Apple sells laptops to idiots. Thats their corporate strategy. Whens the last time you saw an apple computer at a gaming event? Or in a computer technician's office?

APPLE COMPUTERS CAN GET VIRUSES

Your retarded if you think otherwise. Someone can make a virus for a computer w/ os x on it, just as easily as they can make one for a computer with windows 7 on it.

Give me 5 minutes on any mac based computer & an internet connection and I will get you a virus, and make your computer salvageable.

Overall, macs are great computers. Just over priced. They're not magic, they can't evade trojans. Yeah, there are more viruses made for pc's, but when people say ' there are 10483904u2903 viruses for pc's', they're mostly outdated virsues. And I really don't think they should be counting the viruses made for IE 1.0, seriously.

My dad downloads a virus just about every time he comes on the computer. Why? Because hes 63 years old and has no idea what hes doing. Its not because windows sucks, its not because my computer was put together by gateway, its because hes an idiot. Its his fault, not the computers. Hes the dumb !@#$ that clicked on the 'YOUR THE 1,000,000th VISITOR! CLICK TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE!'. !@#$ hes retarded.

Sorry, /rant

apple computers are way over priced and if you want a computer with similar specs, you'd be better off spending the $700 that the macbook pro should cost elsewhere. If you really want to spend $1500, grab yourself an HP envy 13 or 15

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I don't need OS X. Windows, hell even UBUNTU is all a guy that trvels around the world needs. So, ok, we got operating system out of the question.

I travel a lot. I don't like ultraportables (less than an inch think and less than 5 pounds.) I want a capable computer capable of running all the things I need with the smallest footprint possible. Furthermore, I hate laptops that cause risk of cancer(but everything is carcinogen free these days).

$999 Macbook: Very thin, built in DVD RW (HP Envy doesn't have that.) Beautiful.(For looks my VAIO is wayyyy sexier), very nice multitouch trackpad.(again, hp envy has a really sucky 'multitouch trackpad' which is nowhere as streamlined as the macbooks.

I don't need gaming, I have a Dell for that. I don't need Blu-ray, I have a PS3(and VAIO) and HDTV for that. I NEED REALLY PORTABLE POWER.

and yes, macs get viruses....PC viruses that arent compatible with OS X. if i take a USB drive and transfer my (iMovie!) movies to my friend's impressive gaming rig, he's screwed. But there are barely ANY os x 10.6 viruses.

and its not a crime to think a mac is overpriced. Hell, I think so too, but what choice do I have as a middle class tech geek? If only here were PC's like the Macbook...

once agai. opposition?

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
i dont like macs because they are not use for gaming and my pc i built for some much more cheaper and it is a laptop! if you can find a mac that costs 800 with the os and all the components then i will go with a mac.

MSI 1651
T9600 (upgradeable)
9600m GT (upgradeable)
250gb 7200rpm seagate 7200.4
4gb OCZ ddr2 ram 800mhz
5300 intel wifi
and still have a slot for a tv tuner.
and the res is 1680x1050 on a 15.4inch screen and it only cost me $800
and of course windows 7 64bit pro RTM

now if you can find me a mac with those specs for that price then ill say mac is good if not then no deal. MAC in my opnion is just overpriced for their name i have to agree its awesome you go there and get a brand new one at that second. But other than that o woah no viruses heck i get none on my PC and i torrent and download and i go to alot of websites cough *pron* cough and still manage not to get a virus the only difference is that people who get viruses is a mystery.
I use eset smart security, and for drivers i have driver utility pro, perfect speed optimizer and perfect disk 10 pro all free!!!!!!! I have had 0 problems and going on knock on wood. If you go with a mac ill go with a PC and have money to get a turbo kit on my car!!! :) but its always a matter of opinion

jkeopka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Macbooks are nice. They are well built and stylish.
If money is no object to you, and you care more about making a fashion statement than heavy duty computer use, then get one by all means.

I think they are overpriced for what they offer, but I won't deny they are an attractive piece of machinery.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
aww come on...u guys think the macbook is overpriced but the hp envy isnt?

and no, i dont want a laptop to make a fashion statement. but good looks dont hurt. If I wanted good looks VAIO is the way to go. If I want performance, Alienware is the way to go. If I want portability, an Asus eee PC is the way to go. I think that's wrong. I want all of the above, and a backlit keyboard and FANTASTIC multitouch trackpad, and beautiful screen doesnt hurt either :/

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
i bet your dell laptop doesnt have the luxury of having a 7 hour battery life and being less than an inch and being about 4.5 pounds, does it? If you compare a GAMING LAPTOP to a mac, im not sure im asking the right kind of people :p.

This means:
1.) mac is the best buy i can get, and you guys know nothng about the macbook pro or macbook.
2.) you guys dont know any models that are better buys(portability/ performance ratio..it HAS to be thin and light.)
3.) You guys are just joking or trying to waste my time, but i doubt that cuz most of the communities posts are by goodhearted people. :D

either I buy a new macbook for my cousin, or i recommend a nice little dell xps 13, that isnt as thin and light and nice as the mac. I'm trying to prevent myself from doing that by seeking advice from you guys..but could u please read what I want first instead of recommending a random MSI laptop that is nowhere as nice as the macbook? BECAUSE A LAPTOP IS NOT JUST THE SPECS AS I HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY. no, i didnt capitalize that accidentally :)

PLEASE GUYS. PLEASE. i dont wanna give my cousin a random laptop with nothing special in it. however, the only reason i am asking you guys is because my cousin lives in india, finding it difficult to get apple software.

so please, i need ur help, and i decide next week so make it fast! THANX!!

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

too bad ur PC is really chunky, really heavy, has a bad flexy keyboard, bad battery life, and a bad trackpad. if you think a laptop is just the specs(for serious businessmen and designers and A GUY THAT REVIEWS LAPTOPS), well you're kinda stuck in the year 2000. a laptop is more than that now (thank god)

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
well i stopped the flexy keyboard (by modding it), and the weight is only 5lbs with the battery and i get a good 3 hours on battery just surfing the web so yea. and its not chunky at all.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Sorry for the harsh tone earlier. For the price it's good, but the Macbook (999) has a 7 hour battery while being less than 5 pounds and less than an inch thick. :/

BenE675

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I personally think that all macs are pointlessly expensive, why not find a cheap acer on ebay or amazon ? If you are all stupid enough to waste your time even considering ot pay so much for such a stupid piece of junk, then its your own problem. So, the answer to the question "What is your opinion on the macbook", Well the answer is, they are just pointless, all other laptops do practically the same thing, that is why i have just bought myself a asus eee pc. Which are most definatly better than a crappy macbook.

Ultimate_Destructo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

I'm not a mac fan by any means, but PC laptops are not greater than Macbooks in every way like you claim they are. Macs have software that doesn't run on PCs and if ultra-portable is something you want, despite the price, then the Macbook Air is pretty much the only option (except some $2000 work laptops.)

BenE675

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Ultimate_Destructo wrote:

I'm not a mac fan by any means, but PC laptops are not greater than Macbooks in every way like you claim they are. Macs have software that doesn't run on PCs and if ultra-portable is something you want, despite the price, then the Macbook Air is pretty much the only option (except some $2000 work laptops.) -----> Guess What ...

... I dont care.

Status
Not open for further replies.