Question Your pick for a laptop. (non-gaming)

Jun 22, 2020
I'm in the market for a new laptop. I have a $1000 budget. I know companies like Lenovo offer a military discount. So if the price after discount and before tax and shipping is $1000 or less that is fine. Right off let me say what I'm looking for specifically. 4 must haves. Metal chassis or lid (any metal ie. aluminum, magnesium, etc), 15" screen or larger, backlit keyboard, and a discreet video card. I'm not concerned about things such a as manufacturer, build quality, or storage capacity. Thanks I'm advance. I've owned several laptops over the years, but never one with the aforementioned attributes. This is my first post by the way.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Not easy, my friend. Metal = higher build quality, and discrete video card is also getting more costly.

I am not sure what very light gaming is...can you be more specific and call out a game or two?

I'll take a look when I get a chance, but you may want to get some ideas from Amazon and maybe youtube videos.

Check out HP Pavillion 15" systems, Maybe an HP Envy on sale. For Dell I would look at the G5, but I am not sure what they are made of.

The build quality you are looking for is the tough thing to find in a low price machine.

R

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020
Thanks for your input. I ended up going with a Lenovo Legion 5 with a Ryzen 4800H and an AMD 1650ti. I got it off of their website for just over 900 bucks after their own promo code and my military discount. I was about to pull the trigger on a Razer 15 that Amazon has for $500 off regular price, but I was unsure if it was the 2019 or the 2020 model. I heard some sketchy things about the quality control at Razer. Some folks have said they ironed a lot of them out in the 2020 models. Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited: