Your Privacy Is Not Our Responsibility, Says Verizon Exec

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n2vibe

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I hear ya jRaskell 1, It seems to me though that with Verizon being about the biggest mobile phone service provider in the country, if every or at least a big majority of accounts were to drop them and use another service with the reason being Verizons lack of concern about their customers privacy, I'm thinking that would be a huge message to our govt and the other cell providers. Even the next cell provider(s) would almost be forced to consider some form of action. I know it's a pretty fancifull pie in the sky idea but I think it would probably work. I'm with you.....vote the disconnected, unconcerned elitists out of office ....but so few peeps will actually do that anymore. I don't know, I guess we need a true leader to run for office but all of those have a flaw or two that will get blown up way out of proportion and derail any attempt. The true masters of our scociety kinda know what they're doing. Money speaks loudest now.

n2vibe

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I hear ya jRaskell 1, It seems to me though that with Verizon being about the biggest mobile phone service provider in the country, if every or at least a big majority of accounts were to drop them and use another service with the reason being Verizons lack of concern about their customers privacy, I'm thinking that would be a huge message to our govt and the other cell providers. Even the next cell provider(s) would almost be forced to consider some form of action. I know it's a pretty fancifull pie in the sky idea but I think it would probably work. I'm with you.....vote the disconnected, unconcerned elitists out of office ....but so few peeps will actually do that anymore. I don't know, I guess we need a true leader to run for office but all of those have a flaw or two that will get blown up way out of proportion and derail any attempt. The true masters of our scociety kinda know what they're doing. Money speaks loudest now.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
n2vibe:
What can a business do to change the law? How do they fight the NSA? How does leaving one company that is require to give info to the NSA for another that does the same help? If you leave a big company for a small one, and get everyone to do the same, the big company couldn't pay a lawyers to fight the government, as they'd go out of business.

The answer is going to the government. You are looking at the wrong target of your anger. Verizon is just as much a victim as we are.

n2vibe

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
"...having three parts: confidentiality, integrity and availability (often reduced to the acronym CIA)."
Poor choice of words.

NSA spying isn't a good thing (but honestly, stop treating it like it's the end of the world) but people shouldn't blame/get angry at Verizon, people should blame/get angry with the NSA. Also the verizon executive should of said they put integrity as important as availability, because saying that you sacrifice a bit of your integrity for availability is a poor choice of words.

Fuego

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Verizon is one of those companies that are "too-big" to fail. They could have broken their silence, what would the government do? Shut them down? With about 100 million subscribers that's impossible. Hit them with a fine? Sure but the publicity would far outweigh any monetary hit to their pocket book. But again unhindered capitalism reigns.

oenomel

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I understand Verizon's position. The services they offer are regulated by the FEDS (right or wrong is a different bag of worms), and so long as they point out that there are services available, to encrypt what you deem fit to be private, and THEY DON"T BLOCK ACCESS TO THOSE SERVICES, I get their point. Of course the battles between the FED and the companies that offer privacy......well I guess it's a game of hot potato. Privacy providers get stormed by swat with machine guns...Verizon doesn't want that. Truth be told....our FED is EFFD up. People should be more concerned with getting them out of your life period. (See Obamacare..See SSI) More choice...less big brother.

oenomel

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I understand Verizon's position. The services they offer are regulated by the FEDS (right or wrong is a different bag of worms), and so long as they point out that there are services available, to encrypt what you deem fit to be private, and THEY DON"T BLOCK ACCESS TO THOSE SERVICES, I get their point. Of course the battles between the FED and the companies that offer privacy......well I guess it's a game of hot potato. Privacy providers get stormed by swat with machine guns...Verizon doesn't want that. Truth be told....our FED is EFFD up. People should be more concerned with getting them out of your life period. (See Obamacare..See SSI) More choice...less big brother.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Lazy Reporting by Tom's a simple google search turns up this little gem about Sachs:
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/feature/PING-with-Marcus-Sachs

basically in all that interview he clearly states he has a vested interest in turning over your verizon information to the government thru his 3rd party job which is all about making sure the government knows everything about you from the private sector, not just verizon, but your entire private sector information as per his job " As a deputy director in SRI's Computer Science Laboratory"

INFORMATION SECURITY MAGA
PING with Marcus Sachs
E-MailPrintAAAAAA
inShare
FacebookTwitterShare ThisReprints
As a deputy director in SRI's Computer Science Laboratory, Marcus Sachs supports SRI's Washington D.C. operations of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Cyber Security Research and Development Center. He provides leadership and counsel as SRI forges new partnerships among the public and private sectors, the venture capital community and the research community to protect the nation's cyber infrastructure.
Do you get feedback from the private sector as to what DHS should be working on?

Sachs: We get a lot of feedback. We try to get to as many events as possible, such as the North American Network Operators Group. It gives us the opportunity to talk with several hundred ISPs, equipment manufacturers and other vendors that are there. We've also hosted some emerging security technology forums. We just had a tech forum with about 75 CEOs, CFOs, CIOs and others from around the Menlo Park area, who gave us some really neat ideas on things that they would like to have Homeland Security working on. Plus, from the corporate side, the ISPs, the telecoms and others are working with us on collaboration teams to provide DHS with the input for projects like DNS Sec, secure routing projects and others.

How do enterprises benefit from sharing information with DHS?

Sachs: Enterprises bring some really good stuff to the table. There's a lot of expertise in the enterprise world. There's a much broader view into what's happening commercially as well as what's happening with their customers. What the government brings to bear is the ability to integrate a lot of that information and facilitate cross-sector sharing that normally wouldn't happen within organizations or even within the same sector.

So, let's say you have two banks. The ability of those two banks to cooperatively share information is hard, but if both of them have shared with the government and the government can share a larger sector view point back, then they benefit from the fact that the government acts as the safe mediator. Plus, the government can bring in test beds and other types of expertise that the private sector may be limited or restricted to because of regulatory requirements and other restrictions that they might be under.

What role does the private sector play in DHS' research projects?

Sachs: Homeland Security gets its requirements from several places. To satisfy those requirements, we have to partner with the general public, with industries, with academia and many others. There are a number of companies that Homeland has funded. We work directly with these companies. They bring to us great insight because these are real life companies--these are not just little start-ups. They're out there making money and struggling just like everyone else is. They are our forward observer eyes--those organizations that are way out in front and can bring back some good intelligence tell us what's really happening in the business world and can tell us what the real requirements are, not necessarily what the bureaucrats might see.

How does the private sector benefit from the research being done by DHS?

Sachs: It's imperative that those who work in the computer security world know that this research is not just about doing science and technology just for computer science's purpose. It's literally to save the Internet from itself. We are trying to create an environment where we can have e-commerce, trusted cyberspace, all the things we were dreaming of in the 90s when the dot com bubble was exploding but we can't have today because of all the insecurities. We risk losing all that stuff if we don't figure this out pretty quickly. That's where DHS and others in this space come together--seeing that vision of the future, recognizing that we can rebuild the Internet as securable as possible. But it has to be done not just by the government but as a true partnership. It's a public-private effort. The Internet doesn't belong to anyone in particular. It's not run by the US Government; in fact, it's not run by any government. It's run by everybody that uses it, and that requires everybody using it to step up to the plate and think about security.

How can security practitioners make a difference in the state of cybersecurity?

Sachs: The biggest thing the enterprise leader can do is set policy. Set forth good rules of the road to tell the employees exactly what they should and shouldn't be doing with their systems. And this is not something that starts down inside the server room. Good policy management starts up at the board of directors, starts with those who understand the risks to their company, the financial risks, the operational risks, the risks of staying in business tomorrow. Take all of that as good policy and then it makes it fairly straightforward for the network admins to know what their rules of the road are: what firewall rules to build in, what to look for in the IDS logs, what services to turn on or off. All they have to do is translate that policy into a technical way of doing business and their networks will be much more secure than their next-door neighbor's networks. The way we see most threats work their way out on the Internet, particularly those that are human generated, is they tend to go for the weaker target. So if you are more secure -- you'll never be perfectly secure -- but if you are more secure than somebody next to you, the threat goes after your neighbor and you live to fight another day. So, while perfect security is not attainable, you get pretty close if you start with good policy, good user education and awareness, and apply the technical best practices to bring all that into being.

About the author
Michael S. Mimoso is Senior Editor of Information Security magazine.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
on further note this is a guy who got his job because he is more than willing to play ball with the american government, he was also a former part of this government, and it seems needless to say he got his job at verizon because of his direct white house connection with bush and obama as can be seen from his linked-in information:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcsachs
Marcus H. Sachs, P.E.'s Overview

Current
Vice President, National Security Policy at Verizon
Past
Deputy Director, Computer Science Lab at SRI International
President at Global Grid Communications, Inc.
Cyber Program Director, GS-15 at US Department of Homeland Security
see all
Education
George Mason University
James Madison University
The University of Texas at Austin
see all
Recommendations
3 people have recommended Marcus H.
Connections
500+ connections
Websites
My Corner of Cyberspace
Verizon
The SANS Institute
Marcus H. Sachs, P.E.'s Summary

Marcus Sachs is Vice President for National Security Policy at Verizon, serves on the Executive Committee of the US Communications Sector Coordinating Council, was a member of the Commission on Cyber Security for the 44th Presidency, and has testified before the US Congress. He had a distinguished, 20-year military career in the United States Army including serving with the DoD Joint Task Force for Computer Network Defense in 1998-2001, where he was responsible for investigating and preparing a defensive strategy for several high-profile computer network incidents. In 2002 he was appointed by the President to serve as Director for Communication Infrastructure Protection in the White House Office of Cyberspace Security. He served as director of the all-volunteer SANS Internet Storm Center from 2003-2010.

Full biography available online at http://marc.sachs.us

Specialties: National security and emergency preparedness policy, telecommunications and information security policy, international cyber security, incident handling, cyberspace analysis, critical infrastructure protection, science and technology commercialization, military strategic planning, small group leadership

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
fimbulvinteri've heard the same comments from leftists trying to say reagan was a racist also, and yet reagan did more for social welfare than most democrats.

this " oh he's racist" is nothing but a dirty trick right out of the page of rules for radicals the leftist always make, and considering the democrat party is the left, make this hilarious since the democrat party was all about slavery and states rights and was the vast majority of the confederacy, the democrat states.

but like always i'm sure you'll argue those facts as republican.

2) Never go outside the experience of your people.
Want to know why Republicans are so terrible at reaching out to minorities? Because identity politics works really, really well and conservatives tend to oppose it on principle. So, white Republicans are constantly trying to go outside of their experience and reach out to minorities who are generally disinclined to listen to them because they have the wrong skin color. When the GOP accepts reality, adopts the tactics of the Democratic Party, and starts paying off our own Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons to reach out to minority groups and call Democrats racists, we'll start making inroads with minorities for the first time in decades.

GeoTel

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Verizon long outgrown being just a telecom provider. Now they are controlling the market. The same goes for Google. Unless policy gets passed where they are forced to stop this behavior (and why would government want to do that?!), Sachs words seem true.

Status
Not open for further replies.