YouTube Launches Youtu.be

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

That's a domain from Belgium, I wonder if their servers are in Belgium too, since Belgium is pretty tight around network traffic (they are still in the middle centuries with their 10GB/month limits).

core i7 ownage

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Youtube is wasting their money. Nobody wants to type video's address. It's too complex and hard to remember, most importantly, it's TOO LONG to type in.
Everyone uses good ol' fashioned way - copying and pasting.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
nominated for an Oscar and us Micks tend to freak out and go nuts when

:heart: you for this, haha. my sister and i call ourselves chinks all the time, and it's refreshing to see the same amusement elsewhere.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
You guys are totally missing the point of this. It's not changed to help people type the URL in manually--it's to make the URL shorter so that it takes up less space when it's pasted somewhere, like in a Facebook post. Shortening a URL by 15 characters is a great improvement. Also, they're not getting rid of www.youtube.com, they're just offering this as an alternative way to link people to videos.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Now we have to remember where to put the period in youtu.be? versus just typing youtube.com the .com takes all of .5 seconds to type. This is retarded.

DaKlokingDevice

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
lol, maybe they added it so that us high schoolers might be able to get past the internet filter that our district has on our computers at school;)

G

You can get to the YouTube site without the '/watch?v=', but to go DIRECTLY to a SPECIFIC vid, you need either the '/watch?v=' or, this new way. But, I tried it with a vid, and it did NOT work. It got to YouTube, but with a 404 error.

G

If you want to use this feature, bookmark this stuff:
javascript:alert('http://youtu.be/' + /[\?\&]v=([a-zA-z0-9]+)/.exec(location.href)[1])
and then go to a youtube video and open the bookmark.
Press [ctrl+a] [ctrl+c] [enter]
and viola: you have a link in your clipboard

Status
Not open for further replies.