YouTube to Launch On Demand Movie Rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

$30 to watch a “Premium” movie? Netflix really knows how to gouge its customers. I’d rather wait until it comes to Netflix. Or keep my viewing occupied through services like TVDevo website which offers both live and on-demand programming from around the world.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Where did you read the $30 number?

On topic, $7.99 for Netflix is WIN! If you can't wait a few weeks for some lousy movie then you might need to reevaluate your priorities. It's not like there aren't a BAZILLION other things to watch while you wait!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Will this be another one of those "US Only" things?

I know they have licensing issues but if they really wanted to serve other countries they would sort out the issues and do it.

I guess Netflix doesn't have the resources to do it, or just doesn't want to.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
until youtube does something about their crappy servers i'm not gonna rent anything from them, can't even watch a 480p video on my 20mbs cable without buffering. no problem at all from sites like netflix, metacafe, break.com

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Hopefully all this digital content that is bandwidth intensive will force ISP's to abandon the massive fail or caps which we all know and have called bullshit on for nearly a decade now every time we hear about them. One of the reasons I refuse to use a lot of services are because I'm a heavy media consumer and not going to risk getting cut off or having to pay outrageous prices per GB and instead just buy the disc and own it and able to do whatever the hell I want. Said Media Conglomerates of all types are playing this stupid game in the first place.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Netflix will be hard to beat but I welcome the competition, as these guys start taking off normal TV/Cable companies need to rethink how they do business. Ive already canceled my TV and use Netflix and Hulu for everything.

8.99 a month for unlimited movies or 60 bucks for ATT's lowest TV package (which no movie channels are included) yea that is an easy choice. ATT's only way to fight it is with their new 250GB data cap that starts May 2nd jeez I wont why they did that?????LOL

Just wish FIOS was available here then id have the perfect setup.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Well they definitely have the infrastructure and funding to pull this off, but Netflix will be hard to beat. I bloody love netflix... :)

keith_d

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Google and other sites that are offering movies seem to not understand one thing that draws most people to Netflix in the first place: The fact that I can get an unlimited amount of movies in a month for only $8.99. Say you rent 7 movies a month at .99cents or more that means you will probably already be paying more than a monthly membership at Netflix. It just doesn't make sense anymore to charge people by movie. Other companies will not be able to rival Netflix unless they understand this.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I'd like to watch the odd film on my computer so, in the UK at least, YouTube could fill a gap. The method of paying for films is the key. It must be easy and integrated with film providers. Having multiple accounts to view media is not the way forward. PayPal may be the winners in future.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Google really needs to get a partnership with facebook, both for the social attraction and the movie rentals. Yes, competition is good, but facebook got it right, and the people who are willing to pay with these schemes (instead of unlimited netflix or owning the copy, or even pirating it) are more into the social and easy (facebook credits being the easiest).
But google got something facebook has not: gigabit internet!

And for those worrying about the capacity of google to serve movies at proper bandwidth, things tend to work much faster when the next movie people might BUY, might come from competing providers. ;)

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]until youtube does something about their crappy servers i'm not gonna rent anything from them, can't even watch a 480p video on my 20mbs cable without buffering. no problem at all from sites like netflix, metacafe, break.com[/citation]

I think you make a very valid argument there for walking before you can run, so to speak. The system on YT already seems saturated beyond capacity, and bloated with all manner of annoying advertising. One can only imagine the additional load this will create not just on YT but on the net use in general. I'll be honest, I personally wouldn't rent a lot of films released today, however I might be interested in older movies from say, the 40's to the 80's. But they'd have to be at a decent quality and price, and run on a separate system so as not to throttle everyone else's enjoyment. If that could in some way go towards supporting and developing more user-friendly copyright restrictions on YT, then all the better.

rpgplayer, I empathize with your frustration over the streaming issue. Remember when YT first started up? It was great..but for years after on certain ISP's you'd have a terrible time even watching small clips. All I want is a decent streaming speed, but it seems that along with it they intend to bombard our screens with over-complicated interfaces and a proliferation of marketing. I've also seen many accounts taken down, mostly the politically orientated one's making use of contemporary media. The result is that my viewing has greatly diminished compared to what it used to be. I just wish they'd keep it simple, fast and intuitive but it seems that won't be happening any time soon..YT is too big for itself.

G

"The YouTube Store is not yet available in your country."
Seams like this will cause the rest of the Non-US scum to continue Pirating.

G

DISH Network still has more capability and range than any of these other providers. I have DISH Network and, as a DISH employee also try to stay up to date with the latest features. With my Sling Adapter and 722k receiver I can take my LIVE TV anywhere I go with 3G or Wi-Fi!! I can also take my HBO, Cinemax, and DVR with me, set or watch recordings, and get thousands of titles on-demand with Dishonline.com!! To see if your device is capable for this, check it out at Dish.com/TVEverywhere!!

Status
Not open for further replies.