YouTube to Launch Subscription Music Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
"the often cumbersome experience of browsing songs on YouTube"

Oh, you mean the fact that the "Music" page has the same 10 freaking videos featured for years and that certain music genres are virtually non-existant?

Or maybe the fact that you choose a genre only to get totally irrelevant (but obviously paid to be there) results?

Independent musicians won't shed many tears over this. There are many other platforms to exhibit one's work. It was already really hard to find anything other than Miley Cyrus on Youtube, unless you knew exactly what you were looking for...

Zeroplanetz

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
I am not going to pay for yet another subscription service. I really hope somebody comes along and kicks google in the butt with a service like YouTube use to be.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
When they mentioned this story on the radio this morning, my wife said that the major hangup was that YouTube was expecting the artists to pay for the "privilege" of having their songs hosted. That's right: instead of paying the artists a licensing fee (like, say, radio stations & other music streaming services would), YouTube is expecting the artists to pay them.

Good luck with that, Google.. I mean, YouTube...

dstarr3

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
Why would anyone pay for YouTube audio quality? Come to think of it, I don't really get why people pay for audio streaming services at all, really. MP3s should be free, FLAC should cost.

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
DVDSoft <- Free music download by URL. NOW, to my small rant.

This is why I hate windows but can't afford a Mac.

End of small rant.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
YouTube Accused of Strong Arming Indie Music Labels
http://sourcefed.com/youtube-accused-of-strong-arming-indie-music-labels/

Basically, youtube will make life miserable for those not accepting the terms for youtube publication and wanting to go their own way. Of course as a company it is within their rights to do so, but as a society we have the right to tell them 'do it as we like it, or you don't do business here', and this behaviour is dangerously close to monopolistic given the size of youtube/google so we have the moral right, even obligation, to act.

Status
Not open for further replies.