Zenbook UX330 vs Zenbook UX430 - what to buy?

mlvescovi

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Hi guys, I need your help. I am into windows PC since the late 80s, I already have a desktop PC, but it is time to replace my (old!) 2011 laptop. I did a little bit of reading (the world of laptops changed dramatically since 2011!) and I am really fascinated by these new ultrathin and portable laptops, such as the Zenbook.
I am an academic, I will use my laptop mainly for Office (writing, powerpoint) and very light Photoshop (but not necessarily, as I will keep my old laptop and I have a desktop PC with a big screen). I am particularly fascinated by the battery (9 hours!), and I will carry my laptop in libraries and archives. That's all. Oh, I also have a tablet, so I am not really interested in 2-in-1. Finally, I need decent storage (512gb would be OK).

After reading quite a lot, I think the Zenbook thicks many of the boxes: ultra portable, good battery, decent screen, nice keyboard (I have tried it in a shop!), and finally, it offers what I need for around £900 (I am based in the UK).

So the question for you, and I would be really grateful for your help, is which model? There is currently a ux300ua-FB100T on Amazon for ca. £850, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MU9LRV9/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=KGSMJQGH2QXD&coliid=I1R68LLABLG1QO&psc=1
OR
UX430UA-GV337T for ca £900 http://ao.com/product/ux430uagv337t-asus-laptop-blue-50233-251.aspx?cmredirectionvalue=ux430

I am really confused. By looking at the specs they are not SO different. Apparently in the UX430 you can open the screen a little bit more than in the 330 (limited to 110° or something like that). Otherwise the UX430 has a slightly bigger screen (14 instead of 13.3) - this, actually, might make the difference for me. But, at the same time, the UX330 has a QHD+ screen, while the 430 a FHD...

I am really confused. Your help and advice would be hugely appreciated (also because I am struggling to find reviews of the 430 online). Thank you in advance for your time. Cheers

mlvescovi

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Probably my question was too narrow, and not so many people had the opportunity to check the two laptops. I did my homework and I write here some conclusions, shall other people will be interested in buying one of these two Zenbooks.
Personally, I think I will go for the UX430, the model with only the integrated graphic card (more interested in battery rather than gaming - I already have something else for it). Secondly, I would appreciate the slightly bigger screen (14" instead of 13.3"), but maybe this won't make a dramatic difference. Third: the UX330 screen only leans back to about 110 degrees (quite limited), while this issue has been fixed in the UX430 (145 degrees). I am still not sure if I prefer a FHD screen (UX430) over of a QHD+ (UX330). I will go for the UX430 as I prefer this model overall, and I am not sure whether a) the difference in resolution will be fully appreciable with such a small screen b) the QHD+ screen will drain the battery faster. I hope this will be useful for other people interested in these two zenbooks. Cheers!

Screen:

FHD (430) VS QHD+ (330)

430: (this is similar)
178°
wide viewing angles
100%
sRGB color gamut

330:

72 % NTSC
100 % sRGB
178 Wide Viewing Angle Display

Battery (330) 12 hours (but with FHD); 430 9 hours

Processor:
330 6th generation (6500 on website ASUS but Amazon says 7500!)
430 7th generation

Ram: 430
8 GB DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM

8GB LPDDR3 RAM 1866MHz

Connections:

1 x Type C USB3.0 (USB3.1 GEN1) support display
1 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x USB 2.0 port(s)
1 x micro HDMI
1 x SD card reader

1 x COMBO audio jack
2 x USB 3.0 port(s) *1
1 x USB-C Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)
1 x micro HDMI
1 x SD card reader

For your particular situation good battery life will be more useful than a 3K+ panel.

That said, I'm actually a bit confused because the Amazon UK ASUS (the 330) is the one with the QHD display. The AO ASUS (the 430) is the one with the FHD display, and battery life is listed at 9 hours for both machines. I know that the 330 says 12 hours in the listing, but in the detailed spec section it says 9, and that sounds rather more likely for that screen resolution. But I am surprised that the AO 430 ASUS is only listed at 9 hours as well - an FHD panel ought to be significantly less taxing than a QHD one.

So, we're basically down to lean-back angles: The AO 430 ASUS is the one that leans back more, and if that strikes you as a plus, the FHD display will be perfectly suited for your intended work.

tp6yk6z777

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017
I personally own the ux430 one and it is fantastic. It has very decent battery which you will definitely be happy with. Also ux430 has a pretty good track pad comparing to the other zenbooks (extra glass on it). I bought it because of the 940mx because I still want to play some games with it. It is not a super powerful graph card, but it can definitely run some 3d games like overwatch in medium high resolution, and the performace is really well.

Compare to ux330 I would say if you totally don't play game it is also a nice choice, due to its lighter and thinner body. But you mention that you are wondering due to the display, and I think it is not a good idea to have Qhd in a 13.3 inch laptop, it is the software problem, like the words would become too small so you have to change the display. It is an annoying problem for me because I have the same problem with Fhd in my 14 inch screen. Therefor I think ux 330 would have even bigger problem with it.

These are my experiences, and I hope they can help you. I also have the same problem before buying ux430, and I had done some research on it also.