Zuckerberg Reveals Why He Didn't Build a Facebook Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

purrcatian

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
"We’re a community of a billion-plus people, and the best-selling phones—apart from the iPhone—can sell 10, 20 million. If we did build a phone, we’d only reach 1 or 2 percent of our users. That doesn’t do anything awesome for us. We wanted to turn as many phones as possible into 'Facebook phones.' That’s what Facebook Home is."
Uhh... 10, 20 million is 1 or 2 percent of a billion.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]I'm starting to notice that companies based on open philosophies tend to be quite creepy with data[/citation]
Hell yeah, as opposed to, say, Apple, who by default (and silently) tracked user movement.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
WP puts people first, and more than just Facebook. That's, if you can live with the limitations of the platform.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Unfortunately basing your sales pitch on security and privacy in the mobile segment doesn't really capture users or shareholders. If it did we'd all look at RIM a little more than we do. Probably wouldn't go that way but as it is, a blackberry is still little more than a joke in most minds. The facebook mentality is simple; people tell themselves they'll just install it to keep in touch with a close few and that they'll limit their exposure but before long they're taking photos of dinner, waiting for judgement and validation. Before long it's like some worst case scenario from the South Park episode 'You have Zero Friends'.

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
went from being on facebook for nearly 12 hours a day to just checking it when i receive a notification in my gmail......
wouldn't post any private data on it even if they paid me to do it...

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I think Facebook should work on making their current Android software better, before coming out with their own phone. No wonder their stocks are always so low.

largg

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I don't facebook, I have never been on facebook. Am I the only one because it seems like facebook is everywhere.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]largg[/nom]I don't facebook, I have never been on facebook. Am I the only one because it seems like facebook is everywhere.[/citation]
I don't facebook either. Oh, except for the times they do some kind of Amex related promotions giving out free money and stuff. I think facebook would have been useful if I was still in highschool, like 20 years ago? lol.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Yesterday, I actually uploaded a picture to my Facebook account (rare enough) directly from my phone (even rarer)...and I used Firefox to do it. I'm perfectly content to keep using Facebook as a website; I don't need it to be an app and I sure as heck don't want it to be my phone.

Ashley Stephens

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Because Facebook is the new MySpace. In a few years, it will be gone, their investors, oops, saps, will be broke, and we'll be on to the next "great thing"
People roll their eyes when I when i tell them that, but who would have thought MySpace would be the joke it is now. Also, the FB demographic was supposed to kids in the 13-20's range. They've already abandoned it, and are using Twitter. Adults are the only people using FB, which is enough for it to fail all by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.