Zynga Loses $85 million Despite Increasing Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i thought if you spend money to acquire another company, the amount is entered as an investment and not charged immediately to expense.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Games where you advance REALLY slowly unless you pay, (all facebook games) to all die. What about making a QUALITY game that you don't need "energy" ($$$) to play?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Games where you advance REALLY slowly unless you pay, (all facebook games) to all die. What about making a QUALITY game that you don't need "energy" ($$$) to play?[/citation]

don't knock all pay as you go games. granted most blow, but you have to see them as something good with the evil.

so long as game play isn't killed entirely with a must pay to advance, and when you do pay its no more than 30 ish $ i see no problem.

the moment that the game exceeds 60$ though its an instant eff this game for me.

free or extreme cheap games give you online game play girth, so the game never truly dies, and allows you to pay as you go, so you don't have to worry about a 30$ game, whether you like it or not, you can drop 5$ or even get it free, and decide if its wroth putting money into.

there are bad games, but don't blanket a business model just because its usually attached to a crappy game.

kingius

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
"don't knock all pay as you go games. granted most blow, but you have to see them as something good with the evil."

No you don't HAVE to see them as something good with the evil. They are complete rip offs, convincing people to waste good money on utter nonsense items like 'more spiders'.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kingius[/nom]"don't knock all pay as you go games. granted most blow, but you have to see them as something good with the evil."No you don't HAVE to see them as something good with the evil. They are complete rip offs, convincing people to waste good money on utter nonsense items like 'more spiders'.[/citation]
you are looking at zynga games, what im talking about is the whole notion of a free to play game...
look at tribes assend, blacklight retrobution (i have gripes with this one because i was in the beta, and it was better there, so i am taking time off to see if they improve or die) as games that are completely free, and you can play them just as good as someone who pays,

or a game like dungeon defender, that is 15$ (on sale constantly for half off, and up to costing just 3$) that has a crap ton of dlc (also on sale constantly) gets free content, and keeps pushing out new content.

this game is the one where you pay a little, see if you like it, than buy the rest, so far i'm 216 hours into the game, and have to say im having a crap ton of fun playing it, with dlc included, i spent about 40$ on the game.

those are examples of the systems working in a good way, not zynga crap.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
There are good games and there are bad games. Method of payment is nearly irrelevant. More over, pay as you go games are probably more fair for the gamers, because if you play only 10 hours and did not like the game, you did not loose much money.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]you are looking at zynga games, what im talking about is the whole notion of a free to play game.........those are examples of the systems working in a good way, not zynga crap.[/citation]

the grind gets you 1/4 korean citizenship, but world of tanks is amazing(warplanes alpha is fun, and i anxiously await battleships); this may be hinged on enjoying the setting.

blacklight and tribes are the only other f2p's im currently engaged in.

I have no issues with free to play, typically in the play life of the game, i spend about the same, but the zero entry is nice

what irritates me, is games like mass effect 3 that are $65.00(after tax on origin.......that is my only real complaint with origin)then a 10 dollar day one dlc, or a more apt example dragon age one broke the $110.00 mark after all dlc.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]the grind gets you 1/4 korean citizenship, but world of tanks is amazing(warplanes alpha is fun, and i anxiously await battleships); this may be hinged on enjoying the setting.blacklight and tribes are the only other f2p's im currently engaged in.I have no issues with free to play, typically in the play life of the game, i spend about the same, but the zero entry is nicewhat irritates me, is games like mass effect 3 that are $65.00(after tax on origin.......that is my only real complaint with origin)then a 10 dollar day one dlc, or a more apt example dragon age one broke the $110.00 mark after all dlc.[/citation]

no, dragon age had an expansion pack like dlc, and it had a decent amount too...
here is my equation
5$=2 hours of fun
that is the bare minimum i ask from a game before i buy it, and all the dragon age stuff gave me about that much if not more, and considering if this was years ago, all the dlc would have been segmented off into 2 expantion packs, most likey 30$ each, they made good on their content to price ratio...

now you want to talk a bad dlc... look at Railworks 3: Train Simulator 2012, it costs almost 2 grand in dlc.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]no, dragon age had an expansion pack like dlc, and it had a decent amount too... rain Simulator 2012, it costs almost 2 grand in dlc.[/citation]

I loved dragon age, and bought it all. that being said the edition with all the dlc was a much better price. I just wish dlc would die and full xpacs would come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.