Get a Refund if You Received an Incorrect Charge from AT&T

AT&T is issuing refunds for wrongly billed “ringtones, wallpapers, and text message subscriptions for horoscopes, flirting tips, and celebrity gossip”. If you’ve received an incorrect charge for one of these items over the past few years, you may be eligible for a refund. Here’s how to get your money back.

Step 1
You’ll have to go to the FTC website to apply for your refund. Click here to direct your browser to the correct page.

Step 2
Once on the page, read through the description. You’ll see that customers subjected to “unauthorized third-party charges” made after January 1, 2009 are eligible to apply for a refund. You’ll also see that you won’t receive your refund for at least nine months. Decide for yourself whether applying is worthwhile for the size of the refund you will receive. You may need to dig up your old cellphone bills for this.

Step 3
If you do want to go after the refund, click the “Apply for a Refund” button.

Step 4
Go through the three application steps. You’ll be asked for your email address and phone number, your mailing information, and your AT&T account number and phone number(s). Once you’ve answered all the questions on the application, click “Submit.”