Being able to access your laptop from afar takes a new meaning when you can connect to your laptop using remote desktop connectivity. In this tutorial we’ll show you how you can connect to your laptop using TeamViewer.
1. You will first need to get Team Viewer on the laptop/system you wish to access remotely. Using your preferred web browser, go to this site and download the app. The site should automatically detect your platforms OS. If in the event that the OS suggestion comes up negative, you can select your appropriate OS from carousel bar under the main page.
2. Scroll down and you should see a Download TeamViewer button. This will be in green (at the time of writing). Click on it and a download dialog box, to save the installer labelled TeamViewer_Setup, will appear.
3. Locate the downloaded executable and run the installer in an elevated command, i.e. right click installer>Run as Administrator (if on windows) or simply double clicking it will initiate the installation process even if you’re on a Mac.
You may need to be wary towards your installation process:
Those who are on Microsoft's Windows will need to check the “Installation to access this computer remotely” as well the Personal/Non-Commercial use” boxes and click Accept then Finish.
Those on Mac’s will need to double click on the installer/DMG file and click OK. You will then need to go to Apple’s Menu>System Preferences>Security and Privacy>Open Anyway next to the TeamViewer message and click on Open when prompted.
4. Once installation is complete, open the app and on the left side you should see a section with Your ID as well as Password for access to remote connectivity. If you haven’t found it yet, it’s on the left half of the window under the banner “Allow Remote Control” heading. The aforementioned ID is necessary to access your host machine. Considering that the app you installed onto your laptop is meant to be the host system.
5. Hover over the current password and click on the circular arrow left of the password. Click on “Set personal password” in the drop down menu, enter a password to your heart’s content into both “Password” and “Confirm Password” fields. Click OK to accept.
6. You will now need to download and install an iteration of TeamViewer onto the machine you’d like to access off of, like your smart phone or another laptop. Mind you, TeamViewer can be downloaded onto your Android or iOS phones.
7. With your app set on your device you’d like to control the host with, input “Your ID” in the “Partner ID” field. Conversely to step 4, the Partner ID section is on the right hand side of the apps window, located under “Control Remote Computer”. Make sure “Remote Control” is checked.
8. Clicking on Connect to partner should bring up a new dialog box for entering your Password as set in step 4 and click on Log On.
You should now be able to view the connected host machines screen and interact with host system’s OS as though you were on the computer physically. If for any reason you want to disconnect from the host/call and end to the session, all you need to do is click on the X at the top of the Team Viewer window.