10 Desktop Music Managers

Status
Not open for further replies.

klockwerk

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Bulk tagging features are how tags get screwed up in the first place. The online tag databases are far from correct. Foobar2000 sometimes cuts off album titles beyond 30 or so characters and corrupts the Album Artist tag. And I never could figure out how to get it to display album art. Winamp is the best of the crowd, but every program has it's issues.

G

I've found that MP3Tag is the best program of all for tagging audio. It conforms flawlessly to the ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4 tagging standards and any other format that you like such as Vorbis Comments.

It's very quick at batch tag processing also. I've imported ~20,000 songs on occasion in order to add comments or remove unnecessary fields from the files. Never crashes.

BTW, the MP3Tag equivalent on Linux is Puddletag which has very much the same layout and features.

foobar2000 is the best audio player. Once you install the Columns UI plugin and a few other plugins, it becomes a very powerful program. I know that in the past some of its tagging capabilities were a bit hit or miss, but with some of the newer releases many of the problems have been ironed out.

It's expandability is very impressive. If it can't immediately play an obscure audio format, there's sure to be a plugin that will.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
How the hell are you going to neglect to mention Foobar when it's clearly the best. It handles more codecs better and is written by the people who push the standards on digital audio, and its crapware free. Get your shit together.

thrif_ash

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I'm currently using 1by1 simply because of how resource light it is. I like the look of Foobar though, I may give that one a try.

The National

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
I have preferred media monkey for YEARS for it's all around performance. It converts audio formats, burns even from FLAC files, excellent tagging capabilities......but in the past 5 or 6 months constantly crashes......rendering it unusable. I've lost count how many times I've uninstalled and reinstalled, to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.