10 Reasons I Spent $3,000 on a MacBook Pro

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micah7

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It's sad to see everyone attacking the writer without actually backing up their claims.. saying that he has "an insect's level of dumbness" and all other sorts of name-calling, yet he keeps replying respectfully and reminding you "to each his own."

I personally own a Mac Pro desktop and last year's 15" Macbook Pro. I have been building PC's for 12+ years. I have owned a number of laptops in the past, and have had legitimate problems with the power plug connection on the back of them. My first was with a Toshiba. Toshiba fixed it by resoldering the plug to the motherboard and adding hot glue for extra security. After that, I had the same problem a month later (and with careful use too!) and tried to get it fixed. Toshiba admitted that it was a known problem w/ the model laptop I owned and said they would not fix it without me paying for an entire new motherboard! I tried again w/ a Sony and after the third day, the bezel around the screen fell off. I returned it to the Best Buy I purchased it at 5 days after I bought it. I bought a Macbook Pro and never looked back. Haven't had a single problem, and the usability of the OS makes it worth the price in itself! Its lighter, thinner, stronger, all around better designed, and everything I would ever need in a laptop for only $200 more than I paid for the Sony I bought weeks earlier! And for those who say that the customer service is a poor choice for a "feature" because a "true computer user" (or whatever) would work out the problem themselves, well, sometimes its just faster and more convenient to get help. Thats what it's there for. If your monitor screws up and starts flickering and it's still under warranty, are you going to want to mess with it yourself and void your warranty or call someone? And when you do call someone, are you going to want to talk to someone in India who tells you that they'll have to send it off for 2 weeks to repair it or call the Apple Store, set up an appointment and go talk to someone who speaks English, is trained to work on the computer you bought, and likely will have it fixed within 2 days, if not the same day? Like someone said earlier- time is money. Some people can't afford to deal w/ things like this when it's time to get down to business.

Stop arguing if you aren't going to make valid points and are just here to bash or name call. Get over yourselves.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
It's pretty safe to say that anyone who claims to be computer literate but prefers OSX is lying. OSX is not in the slightest geared towards someone who is computer literate. Anyone with a strong computer background or a native Windows user will not be comfortable with OSX. None of the operations, layouts, or functions have any direct relation to how a computer works.

Apple is selling nothing more than lies and flashy looking hardware. Just look at their advertising campaigns. They started by selling lies about Windows systems crashing "all the time" and suggested that Macs never crash. Just because a Mac doesn BSOD doesnt mean it doesnt crash. I cant count the times I've been using an app in OSX and it just randomly closes, or it says "this application must close now" with just an OK button on the window that closes the app. Thats a crash dammit! Or when OSX says it has to restart, giving you no options other than that same OK button that restarts it. At least a BSOD tells me what went wrong.

Plus, people who claim a Mac is only $200 more than a similarly spec'd PC just doesnt know how to shop for computers. It's been proven time and time again that comprable PC's sell for literally HALF the price of a Mac (ie my previous post with a Sony FW for $1900 cheaper than Bill's Mac).

What it really comes down to though, is that Macs are for computer illiterate people. That's part of why PC advocates seem to be "name calling." Anyone who knows how a computer works or how to shop for a computer would never buy a Mac.

G

I haven't read other users comments, but how about the Dell XPS 16 inch?

That thing is very similar to the Pro in most ways, similar footprint of roughly 15x10", and similar features.

1 - The keyboard - The keyboard on the Dell is very nice with full sized arrow keys, which I like. It might not be curvy but they are larger keys with no spacing in between, which is better. Its backlit also but not adjustable.. but really that is not a big deal.

2 - Build quality, the studio is good in build quality but not excellent. But is it really that darn important? I've had 2 laptops over 4 years and I haven't had any issues of dropping them, hitting them with hard objects, or anything to warrant needing super-tough protection. Note that I did take them to school, so they weren't just sitting at home, but in fact they moved around a LOT with me. Ive travelled with laptops many times.

3 - Weight and thickness, the Dell is 6.4 lbs and varies from .93 to 1.3 inches thick. If .3 inches really matters that much to you. Wow. Granted, it is a 16 incher and not a 17. But the dimensions of the laptops are similar.

4 - MagSafe - Frankly, I've had no problems with tripping over power cables. How about you dont place your cables in areas where they can easily be tripped on?

6 - Display - the Dell offers what they call RGBLED with FULL HD also. Its practically the same as the Macs. I haven't compared them head-to-head, but the Dell has excellent picture and colors. A pro is probably the same quality.

7 - Viruses - That is true, not much to say except dont be stupid and be susceptible to viruses.

8 - Battery life - The Pro destroys everything here, but its a 17 inch laptop. The sheer size of it means that most people wont be using it completely mobile with no plugs around. Sure if this was a 13 inch, that would be great because they are very easy to move. But come on, most 17 inchers dont need to be that portable because they will be used near power sources.

9 - Customer support - Ive had issues with other Dell products and have always had my issue resolved fairly easily.

10 - Environmental - I do not know the details of this so I cant say anything

11 - OS - this contradicts your other point saying that using Macs stops you from getting viruses - because you say its a plus to use windows too. Decide here.

Advantages of the Dell Studio xps 16 -
1. eSata, of course thats mentioned.
2. HDMI, a more universally compatible component that is easy to find connectors and such for
3. Speakers - Dells speakers are easily superior, with a subwoofer, they blow away the Macbook Pro's speakers.
4. Harddrive - When configuring a $1600 Studio XPS, I had a 500GB 7200RPM harddrive. Faster. Larger.
5. Blu-ray - Adding blu-ray is only $50.
6. Card reader - I dont believe the Macbook Pro has this. Also a great feature.

G

I forgot to add to my previous comment that a fully featured XPS16 comes in at $1600 (with similar processor, graphics, display, but better harddrive, bd-rom)

lotrfan

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I think one of the most major things and one of the things that no one on here really mentioned, is the resolution of the display. There are plenty of 16" 17" even 18" laptops out there, but as many more experienced tech-users should know, resolution not size. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the highest resolution screen I've seen in most laptops is 1920x1080 and usually it is lower, at 1680x1050 or 1440x900. The 17" MacBook Pro offers a 1920x1200 display (which is the resolution on most desktop 24" displays), which is invaluable for people like me who edit video. At first, I had considered a Toshiba Qosimo as well, especially because of the quad core and graphics power, but then I changed my mind because for me, I play games occasionally, but I'm not a hardcore gamer, and I couldn't get a 1920x1200 display with the Qosimo. And just on a personal note, the Qosimo is a kickass gaming laptop, but c'mon Toshiba Qosimo? So not only is it fugly, it also has the worst name ever. If Dell or Asus offered something like the Qosimo with a better design and display, I'd probably buy that over the MacBook Pro.

Again, like others have said earlier, if a feature isn't important for you, then the laptop may not be a fit for you, but that doesn't mean it's a bad product. Considering that the screen is one of the most important aspects of a laptop that can't be upgraded easily, this offers great value. Of course, I'd recommend getting the minimum specs for hard drive and RAM, which you can both upgrade later easily and can save you a lot of money, considering Apple's ridiculous upgrade prices.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
A $3000 Qosimo laptop will get you two 9800's in SLI. Comparing that to a Macbook is completely irrelevent. Sure, the Qosimo's screen is only 1680x1050, but you cant play most games at 1920x1080 anyways.

Now if you're comparing two notebooks that are meant for the same thing...For example this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117857 which I've referenced twice now, it's essentially the exact same, but $1900 cheaper. The screen is 1920x1080, a negligible 120 horizontle lines short from the $3000 MacBook.

Thats just one example of the many COMPARABLE notebooks that are far far cheaper. You people need to start learning how to choose notebooks that have similar purposes and specs to compare, not just price points.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]For the most part, I dont think that Macs suck. It's Apple's shady marketting that I dont like. Some companies rely on half truths or flashy colors, but Apple takes it a step furth, to the point that they're essentially lying about their product. Then on top of that, they go ahead and overcharge the people they're lying to.[/citation]

This is a good point. As I always point out, I love Apple and their products, and I often own them (gone through an iBook and a Macbook now.) It's Apple USERS that piss me off. Here are my complaints:

1) You'll NEVER see a Dell XPS owner explaining why his computer is so much better than the rest of the world. Nor will you see a Sony FW user. We're content knowing our products are great. And guess what, they ARE great!

2) We're always happy to compare specs to specs and be very objective. Apple users generally never are, because it's not so much about the computer, but about being a part of the club. They have to spread as much untruth and lies about Windows as they can to feel good about the Mac experience. Guess what, I LOVE my Apple, and I LOVE my Sony, BOTH ARE ROCK SOLID. But, I have had more application crashes on my Apple. Not by much, but a bit. Vista is just as stable, of not a touch more stable, than OSX. Period. Both are highly usable though. I have yet to see a Mac only person admit this.

3) Fanaticism. You'll see me recommend a Mac quite often if it fits a use. The 13" MBP is a great example of a fantastic computer at its price point. The 17" MBP is an example of a bad one. Even though Bill decided to burn his $1300 on nothing, where is the recommendation for the Sony FW? I can recommend the 13" as the top of its class for its pricepoint, why can't he give the FW its win?

Hrmph.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
[citation][nom]lotrfan[/nom]I think one of the most major things and one of the things that no one on here really mentioned, is the resolution of the display. There are plenty of 16" 17" even 18" laptops out there, but as many more experienced tech-users should know, resolution not size. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the highest resolution screen I've seen in most laptops is 1920x1080 and usually it is lower, at 1680x1050 or 1440x900. The 17" MacBook Pro offers a 1920x1200 display (which is the resolution on most desktop 24" displays), which is invaluable for people like me who edit video.[/citation]

1920X1080 on a 16.4" is the same as a 1920X1200 on a 17". Why are you editing video and not using 16X9 ratios?

G

I love my HP8710p. I bought it mainly because it was the only 17" at the time with non-glossy screen (hate those glossy screens). Looked at Apples but bang for buck was just not comparable. Also they were all white (yuk)... the aluminium finish is better but I like a matt black best. Keyboard on the HP is great though some sort of backlighting would be handy. Also came with 3 year warranty.. hopefully indicating quality parts.

duck apple

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]It's pretty safe to say that anyone who claims to be computer literate but prefers OSX is lying.
What it really comes down to though, is that Macs are for computer illiterate people. That's part of why PC advocates seem to be "name calling." Anyone who knows how a computer works or how to shop for a computer would never buy a Mac.[/citation]

I would argue that any person claims himself computer literate should not touch Windows at the first place; yes, a false argument, just like yours.

duck apple

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]A $3000 Qosimo laptop will get you two 9800's in SLI. Comparing that to a Macbook is completely irrelevent. Sure, the Qosimo's screen is only 1680x1050, but you cant play most games at 1920x1080 anyways.Now if you're comparing two notebooks that are meant for the same thing...For example this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6834117857 which I've referenced twice now, it's essentially the exact same, but $1900 cheaper. The screen is 1920x1080, a negligible 120 horizontle lines short from the $3000 MacBook.Thats just one example of the many COMPARABLE notebooks that are far far cheaper. You people need to start learning how to choose notebooks that have similar purposes and specs to compare, not just price points.[/citation]
Please stop mentioned that Toshiba thing. It's in different league aesthetically.
Sony has different lines of product. The high class gears are of its own class but those half priced ones, even with same Vaio logo, are no go for me. You would get better value with Asus or Acer.

Oh, yes, I agree that Macbook Pro (actually every notebook model from Apple) is over-priced, every Apple fan knows it. But you don't have any alternative if all factors weighted in. I myself would rather pay the Apple tax for the Mac Pro desktop.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
@duck apple

You really need to learn to read dude. First off, I didn't say a computer literate person would always choose Windows. I said they wouldn't choose Mac.

Second, I not only did not bring up the Qosimo, but I also said it's NOT comparable to a MacBook because the Qosimo is a gaming notebook. I referenced the Sony Vaio specifically because it's the EXACT same market point as the MacBook.

You only just proved my point that Apple fans don't know how to compare notebooks. Oh and it's funny that you'd complain about how PC desktops dont have the right combination of features and say you'd pay extra for the Mac Pro. PC desktops have the capability to have literally EVERY feature the Mac Pro has and thensome.

duck apple

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]i think its pretty pathetic that the writer on TH is debating with readers and trying to insult them. "I have actually configured and used an OC192 to pass internet traffic, have you?" act like an adult please. and crucial isn't the only maker of RAM. 4G of memory, $80http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231215[/citation]

You are make joke on yourselves. We are talking about 4GB in a single stick.

G

Quantumrand, why do you keep saying the Sony is exactly the same thing as the MacBook when it has older technology in it? The Sony is more like last years' model of the MacBook Pro with DDR2 and a slower processor.

This thread is amusing. The people bashing the author for his computer choice seem to be hardcore gamers. I guess they don't realize that some people have other needs for a computer.

And I don't get all the hot air about this laptop being overpriced. When compared to other high-end laptops the 17" MacBook definitely fits in. It lacks some things it competitors have but it also has features that its competition can only dream about. I've never been a fan of Apple but I am looking to get a nice laptop and am very intrigued by this machine.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
ToddBridges, it's true that the Sony has slightly older technology. The Viao doesnt have the high/low power GPU (even though that has been proven an ineffective concept), nor does it have the DDR3. The dual GPU setup, while interesting, sacrifices Centrino2 technologies, and the DDR3 with timings of 9-9-9-24 at 1066Mhz has actually less bandwidth than DDR2 at 5-5-5-15 and 800MHz (do the math). As for the processor, Macs still use the exact same processors as Sony, the P8000s and P9000s which have been around for quite some time now.

G

Quantumrand, while Sony and Apple use the same processors, the processor in the machine that you call "essentially the exact same" to the MacBook is not. From your posts it is clear that your hatred of everything Apple is affecting your reaction to the machine.

So let's try something. Imagine if instead of an Apple logo on the cover the MacBook said Dell. And instead of running OSX it ran Windows. If Dell manufactured the laptop do you think they would be charging the same amount as Apple? I think they would. Not everyone is a gamer, some people actually use laptops for work. And for them a machine like this is very attractive. It has great components that should last a long time, a 17" screen yet is very portable, and is aesthetically pleasing. When you spend half your waking life with a laptop this trait becomes surprisingly important. And if the aesthetics allow you to work an hour or two more a week the machine will pay for itself in no time.

G

Quantumrand, while Sony and Apple use the same processors, the processor in the machine that you call "essentially the exact same" to the MacBook is not. From your posts it is clear that your hatred of everything Apple is affecting your reaction to the machine.

So let's try something. Imagine if instead of an Apple logo on the cover the MacBook said Dell. And instead of running OSX it ran Windows. If Dell manufactured the laptop do you think they would be charging the same amount as Apple? I think they would. Not everyone is a gamer, some people actually use laptops for work. And for them a machine like this is very attractive. It has great components that should last a long time, a 17" screen yet is very portable, and is aesthetically pleasing. When you spend half your waking life with a laptop this trait becomes surprisingly important. And if the aesthetics allow you to work an hour or two more a week the machine will pay for itself in no time.

G

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Even if the MacBook Pro is using a P9500 which is impossible to know for sure because Apple purposely dont release detailed specs or lable their parts (kinda fishy dont you think?), compared to the P8600 you're hardly getting much of a performance increase, and it's a price difference of $100. That really doesnt make up for the additional $1900 he spent.

As for aethsetics, the Vaio FW's are quite attractive, easily comprable to the MacBooks.

Even through Sony's website (which I consider very overpriced), I can configure a Vaio FW with WUXGA screen and P9500 and all the other similar specs to the MacBook, and the price comes out to $1400, still half the price of the Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.