10 Things You Need To Know About The iPad 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
So... another crap from apple - but yes - am glad to have it out - I can already smell Xoom going below $499 - which means it will be around £300 :) Xoom is better at everything - so it's a no brainer :)

G

88mm thick? Really? That's like 3.46 inches, I'm sure you're missing a decimal point in those dimensions.

matroska

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
"According to Apple, 65,000 iPad apps are now available, while Google's Honeycomb Android stands at about 100." honeycomb just launched with Xumo, i don't think that you can compare this Apple...

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mianmian[/nom]I have to say in tablet area, the apple tax is not that obvious as other products.The G slate has a so so TN panel that makes it not attractive. it does not have a sexy and slim metal body either (it is plastic). These difference alone would almost explain the price difference.[/citation]

The Apple Tax on Tablets starts at about $150. That is a large percentage when talking about identical products that are available for $350 from other manufacturers. Guess things dont change with Apple. The pretty is more important than the function.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]You're kidding, right? Intel has pushed the boundaries of hardware in ways Apple couldn't even imagine. Also, AMD (not their processors, of course). Sony deserves some credit there too. In terms of software, I think everyone knows Microsoft blows, but has Apple really advanced things much in the past 10 years? What software package of theirs is really unique or ground breaking?Also, Lisa had the first GUI for Apple, which they stole from Xerox, of course. This is not to discredit Apple, they do create new markets, with a seeming genius at making products people really want, before anyone else had any idea. Smart phone existed before Apple, GUI existed before Apple, tablet computing devices existed before Apple, but they may as well not have, considering their impact before Apple took them to the next level.But, I object to comparing Apple to Intel in hardware. What Apple does is trivial compared to the enormous amount of work in creating a new architecture like the Sandy Bridge (despite the idiots saying it's a Nehalem refinement, which it isn't). This doesn't even go into their chipsets, IGPs (which are finally excellent), platform advances (USB 3.0, PCI-E, Thunderbolt), or their motherboards. On top of this, their manufacturing technology is superb. Only IBM should be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to hardware.[/citation]

While I agree with the point I think you're *trying* to make.. I think you still need to consider that he isn't saying that Apple has done more than Intel in *just* a hardware perspective. Or *just* a software perspective. Of course Intel has done more and better things in hardware, and there are most certainly better leaps and bounds in the software department as well. His comment, however, was a general all-inclusive statement.. And one that can't be genuinely denied. Not many companies have quite the portfolio that Apple does.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]The Apple Tax on Tablets starts at about $150. That is a large percentage when talking about identical products that are available for $350 from other manufacturers. Guess things dont change with Apple. The pretty is more important than the function.[/citation]

And what about the 799 dollar Xoom? Perhaps that, as well, has an apple tax? The craftsmanship on those 350 dollar tablets does not compare to the iPad. In the tablet market.. The iPad really isn't *that* expensive..

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]Dear Wolfgang, I don't "need" to know shit. Needing and wanting are not the same thing.[/citation]

The statement "10 Things you need to know about the iPad" is quite obviously just directed at those who want an iPad. Anyone who is considering buying an iPad 2 *should* know this info.

Wolfgang is just doing his job. However, what you *do* need, is a better attitude, shitbag.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mianmian[/nom]I have to say in tablet area, the apple tax is not that obvious as other products.The G slate has a so so TN panel that makes it not attractive. it does not have a sexy and slim metal body either (it is plastic). These difference alone would almost explain the price difference.[/citation]
So you're telling me that the macbook, macbook pro, macbook air are not good products because they also have a TN panel.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]So you're telling me that the macbook, macbook pro, macbook air are not good products because they also have a TN panel.[/citation]

No, I think he was just saying the quality of the panel in the G slate isn't of as high quality, which makes it worse.. I could have misunderstood him however.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I am still confused. There are actually people out there that are willing to pay a carrier to use this + the price of the unit? Do yourself a favor, get the WiFi Only.

Status
Not open for further replies.