$100 Blu-ray Disc Player Appears For Sale Online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
[citation][nom]PLATTERMAN[/nom]A $100.00 player sounds good but the thing won't last. I have the Samsung BD-UP5000 plays both formats Blu-ray & HDDVD, all the output options of video & audio. A sweet player i had for about 1 yr 3mo but it cost $599.00. With 2 firmware updates it has never failed to play any disc of either format load times are good to great have at least 300 hrs on it so far. My Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player has 12 yrs of very high use and made in Japan, never a problem it was on sale for 699.00 back then MSRP was a grand. Funny i thought Curtis Mathes was long gone i bought a CM branded NEC tv from them 18 yrs ago along with a CM branded Panasonic HI-FI dockable portable VHS recorder, they closed their doors around 2 yrs later. Goodfella's & The Godfather are very worthy repeats at least for me.[/citation]

Wow, I bought my UP5000 used for only $300 about a year ago, you kinda got ripped off... although, to be fair, the disk drive quit and I had to send it into Samsung, they didn't charge me for it though.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
DVDs aren't going away soon. On an upconverting DVD player, they still look fantastic on a 1080 resolution TV. And most people aren't die-hard audiophiles to the extent that they notice that DVDs contain compressed sound. And every week the Target, Wal-Mart, and/or Best buy in my town almost always have $5 DVDs - popular ones too. That's about the same price as it is to rent! For me, BRs are cool and the picture is amazing, but for the best value, I still buy a lot of DVDs.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
The day I read about a $100 Blu-Ray player that has as many features as my $96 HD-DVD player, including ALL the Internet capabilities, I'll consider getting one. I do have one HDMI-compatible HDTV in the house, so unlike the PS3 which would need analog output for the intended set, it'd get a little video use.

$200-300 for a decent Blu-Ray just isn't as important to spend now as the $350 I paid for my first crappy Toshiba DVD player. The Gee-Whiz Factor is NOT as high as the BR people would like to think...

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I bought an HDDVD player XBOX attachment with 6 movies for $50. Since then I've spent another 50 a have 10 more movies. All bought brand new.

So 16 HDDVD movies + player for $100.
Blue ray... $100 for player(or 300 back when I got the HDVD) and $300-500 for 16 movies.

I'm glad I've saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars avoiding blue ray.

G

I don't know why people are buying bluray anyways. The discs are terribly expensive. Just download a 1080p rip and playback using something like a WDTV or Popcorn Hour and don't worry about discs.

PLATTERMAN

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Hitokage[/nom]Wow, I bought my UP5000 used for only $300 about a year ago, you kinda got ripped off... although, to be fair, the disk drive quit and I had to send it into Samsung, they didn't charge me for it though.[/citation]
At the time i got mine at Best Buy it was the last build dates for the BD-UP5000 Blu-ray/HDDVD combi player. The last builds had the bugs worked out of them like dts/DD master audio streams. The HDDVD pickings are getting pretty thin but at is height of bargains following the war,you could get titles for $10.00 to $15.00 at Circuit City and online. I dont think anyone makes a new model combi player for home theater systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.