100 Mbps Could Finally Be Possible on DSL Lines

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanlucrazy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
DSL is not as bad compared to Cable as it once was. I remember back about 5 years ago when I had a 1024mbps upstream connection and it was one of the fastest for DSL. Cable at that time was around 3-4Mbps. Now companies like verizon offer 8Mbps on a DSL line. In terms of future advancement, yes , Fiber Optic is good, but it's good to see older tech to improve.

I have a problem with the article though.

"Typically DSL connections only provide around 1.5 Mbps depending on the provider and local hardware."

I think that is very misleading. At some point it was, not any more. Right now I live in a 3rd world country which is very "Anti West" etc. and I have the option of getting 4Mbps albeit at a $60 a month price. (Average earnings here is $400 a month).

I think most companies that provide DSL internet are "Typically" capable of 4-8Mbps. That's just where the tech is at right now. What the customer gets on his end is a different story as we all know, based on things like distance from the station etc.

crazykeen

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Wolygon[/nom]Yes and to think that us here in Australia are paying $2000 per person ($43 Billion) to get optic fibre to every home. And get guess what speeds, 100Mbps.Labor knows how to waste our money over here.[/citation] 1000Mbps, fibre to the premises. i will pay my taxes happily for this! stop thinking only of yourself, think into the future generations, will they be happy with what we did? or didn't do?

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
my dsl provides me with 20mbps connection and i know in some countries they have that up to 22 or 24mbps.....so its not like a jump from 1.5mbps to 100mb....1.5mb is ancient technology dsl+2 has been out for a long time

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]Cable can theoretically handle 30 Mbps however most broadband providers usually offer various packages up to 15 Mbps[/citation]

Actually, DOCSIS 3.0 allows for up to 42.88mbit per channel, and depending on how many channels your ISP supports per connection, and what kind of cablemodem your provider supports, it could be up to....theoretically lets say 42.88mbit x 8 downstream channels = 343.04mbit. Now no ISP is going to dedicate 8 data channels to a single user, but the 3.0 standard does not specify a maximum number of channels, it just specifies the per-channel speed, and that equipment must support a minimum of 4 channels. Beyond that, if the provider had the proper equipment on both ends, they could send a new config file to your modem, and give you insane speed if they wanted to.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm happy that I finally may be able to tell Comcast, "**** off." But I can't do that until:

a) U-verse comes to my neighborhood
b) FTTP or FTTN providers come to my city and cover my house
c) This new DSL happens for my DSL provider... who also happens to also provide U-verse to neighborhoods a few blocks away from mine... hurry up, AT&T...
d) WiMax2 Unlimited comes
e) Hell freezes over
f) Comcast becomes good and provides excellent customer service at decent rate... (the least likely to happen)

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I have never had a serious issue with my cable connection, it has gone down, but unplugging/plugging the power and its fixed. As for DSL, i have seen my far share of idiots disconnect it, don't know their user account info, have to call their DSL provider, wait to get a hold of someone, look for an old bill with your account number and verify it. With that said 15Mbps is more than enough bandwidth. Besides it really has more to do with the site you are going to and their upload bandwidth, if they are busy (high traffic hour), ect. Waiting for FTTP since 2003. JMO

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]I'm happy that I finally may be able to tell Comcast, "**** off." But I can't do that until:a) U-verse comes to my neighborhoodb) FTTP or FTTN providers come to my city and cover my housec) This new DSL happens for my DSL provider... who also happens to also provide U-verse to neighborhoods a few blocks away from mine... hurry up, AT&T...d) WiMax2 Unlimited comese) Hell freezes overf) Comcast becomes good and provides excellent customer service at decent rate... (the least likely to happen)[/citation]

you might want to specify which "hell" you're talking about as there is a hell that freezes every year. :lol:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hell+michigan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Hell,+MI&gl=us&ei=3xvKTPiOPIPGlQezytieAQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

G

"
Cable can theoretically handle 30 Mbps however most broadband providers usually offer various packages up to 15 Mbps
"

That is so untrue. We are already using 200Mb cable connections in Finland:
http://www.welho.fi/en/homes/broadband

And uncapped, of course.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
[citation][nom]crazykeen[/nom]1000Mbps, fibre to the premises. i will pay my taxes happily for this! stop thinking only of yourself, think into the future generations, will they be happy with what we did? or didn't do?[/citation]
The future generations in the outback are going to thank us will they? Most people not in cities don't care and probably won't even sign up, they are just pissed that they have to pay. They watch TV and only check their emails twice a week and this won't change for a long time.

Me stop thinking about myself? How about you stop thinking about yourself in your nice big city, I'm all for the cities getting high speed internet, but in the country we are not going to use it. In 30 years we still won't need more then 20mbps.

Heres some nice plans for you, residential gets 100mbps
http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/fibre_to_the_home/nbn_plans/

Not to include the monopoly the NBN will be. You don't see USA doing this even though there density is so much greater then ours.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
This article is way off on its numbers. I have a 50MB net connection here in Vegas, with 1, 3, 10, and 20MB tiers. And the DOCSIS 3.0 standard, depending on where you live, can offer 380MB (NA) or 400MB (EU) maxed out.

The DSL company, CenturyLink, offers 256KB-10MB most areas in town, and 25MB in a few select areas.

Those complaining that east Asia and such are so much farther along, look at when they built their networks, in the 80's and 90's. It is much easier to build from NOTHING, then to have to replace an entire existing architecture. Even most of Europe has the same issues we do because they've got the same type of antiquated architecture.

Eventually everyone (cable and phone companies together) wants to offer FTTU (Fiber To The User), but it takes a whole lot of money (between manpower and permits/licensing) to do so, and that is in short supply at the moment. Most places have FTTN (Fiber to the Node), and some have FTTC (Fiber to the Curb) that has proven to be not very stellar on returns as the premium for the service is pretty high, and that is not very attractive to customers at this time.

I personally don't expect FTTU in the US in my lifetime, but I do expect FTTC to be commonplace in 10-20 years. This is in the US mind you, which, as previously stated, requires a complete overhaul of 60 year old infrastructure. Other, undeveloped places might be faster to the punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS