1080i upconversion on component?, TV Guide's service?, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calabast

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Hey everyone, I've been scouring the internet trying to get a handle of all this information, and while I think I have most of it understood, I still have a couple questions.

1.) My tv is a couple-year old projection tv that supports 1080i, but only has component input. (It's a Sony 43", I forget the model number.) I need to check if the tv itself can upconvert a signal, since I thought of that recently, but if it doesn't, of the DVR/HDD devices that also play regular DVDs, are they any more being made that can upconvert to 1080i on component? Or are they all pretty much using HDMI now?

2.) If I got a DVR with a digital reciever, and hooked up an hd antenna, but didn't have digital cable hooked up, (if the dvr supported TV Guide's channel/show service) is that service broadcast in any way, shape or form? Or would we have to program it to record at a certain time, if we wanted to record a show?

I just don't know enough brands or models of DVRs to find the information I need, but I hope some of you in here have a much wider knowledge of what's actually out there. Optimally, I would like a device that could recieve HD broadcasts (the tv is only hd-ready, can't recieve), have some way to record (i'd prefer HDD, but DVD would be alright too), 2 tuners would be a plus, and the ability to play DVD's, and upconvert them to 1080i. If anyone happens to know something with all/some of those, I'd really appreciate the help. But the 2 necessary parts are an HD digital reciever, and the ability to send that in 1080 through component. Thanks a lot guys.

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I know TiVo has gotten good reviews of their new HD box, though I'm guessing they're charging a ridiculous premium for it. That would do everything you would need it to do though.

Not sure if you can buy them as stand alone products, but Scientific Atlantica makes HD DVR units that output just about every format through every type of cable (including 720p and 1080i over component). How they work with a digital broadcast signal input from an antenna, I'm not certain.

KevinAr18

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know TiVo has gotten good reviews of their new HD box, though I'm guessing they're charging a ridiculous premium for it. That would do everything you would need it to do though.
Tivo is an incredable ripoff anyway you look at it. They make you pay for the box and then make you pay a monthly fee for something that can all be handled free of charge. It's almost as bad as the GoToMyPC ripoff. You can build your own TV device from a computer.

KevinAr18

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah I had a feeling it wasn't worth getting for it's ultra price. Pardon the lack or research on that one.
That's ok. I just hate to see companies like that ripping people off. A computer could be built to do the same thing as the Tivo without a monthly fee; in fact, some startup could make and sell such devices if they wanted to, but unfortunately the only choices for consumers are from this corrupt company.

Status
Not open for further replies.