~13" with SSD

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Are there any laptops with SSD-drives <1000£?
Preferably 13" laptop.

If not, is there alot of work putting on in myself?
i won't be buying a laptop with optical drive, does that complicate things when adding a SSD?

Kind regards
Softsolid

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I'm actually in Sweden.
I've been keeping a eye out for the ASUS U36JC. Though I can't seem to find any version of it with anything other than 5400RPM HDD, which I find boring. Otherwise that computer "U36JC" meets my requirements very well. ASUS homepage for the product:

http://www.asus.se/product.aspx?P_ID=XrzH3yU3IVV4nMqL

that is ASUS Swedish homepage though, I can't find it on their UK version, but linked one from their USA-site -->

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=XrzH3yU3IVV4nMqL

I'm looking for something light and quick, preferably a 13" laptop ~1,5kg. All of them seem to include the 5400RPM HDD. Perhaps the newer 5400's are resonably fast, and I'm just searching for something that's already there?

The price isn't the main concern, a fast overall computer is. I don't either need alot of storage. I will only be using it for lighter tasks(no heavy games), mainly schoolwork, but the cold boot-time is important.

The plan is to keep the laptop for 3 years, after that my job probably sponsors me for one. (I'm studying to become a auditor/controller).

It doesn't matter if I buy it at a physical store on the web, but it's obviously convinient if the store is located in Sweden, but it's not at all a demand. I'm mostly looking for help selecting a range of laptops that might fit, so finding a specific one isn't critical.

Hope that message made more sense, thank you.

bCubed

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I'm in a similar boat right now btw. I'm looking for something similar. I'm not sure about overall quality yet but Samsung is supposed to release the 9 series laptop:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/12/samsung-series-9-slides-its-rail-thin-body-through-the-fcc/

it's razor thin, 13", has an SSD. Just not sure if it will come out in Sweden though but it is supposed to launch late February for about 1,600 USD. I want to see reviews on it first though.

Another possibility is the Sony Vaio Z series. It comes with a premium price and good review from major sources but mixed reviews with users. Also 13", has SSD, and seems good overall.

You can always look at the Macbook Air but one thing that has turned me away from them is the ancient CPU they are still putting in them (Intel Core 2 Duo). Not a bad CPU overall but kinda old. Plus there should be a refresh by around May-ish. So buying now becomes iffy.

I have been looking around too (in the US though) for a similar laptop, so let me know what you find.

I'm sure there are more that I am missing but these are some to look at.

Also, do you care about operating system, any specific preference? Win 7 or Mac OS?

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
That seems really nice, I'll have a closer look at em =)
Alright, I'll check those too.

I'll go with Win 7 no matter what =) So Macbook doesn't appeal to me.

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
The vaio certainly comes with a premium price, abit too premium for me, but otherwise sureley a nice setup.

I'll keep you updated if I find something interesting.
My gf tells me just to buy one, she thinks I'm taking too much time to look around and think about it :)

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
It's the only way to do it m8! =)

this looks interesting, good CPU, SSD, lightweight.
cons: doesn't seem to have any other HDD(?), can't find it on DELL's homepage, no dedicated GFX
Might be hard to get hold of, check it out anyway.

It's a swedish price-comparison homepage but hopefully you'll be able to understand the facts =)

http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=785676

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
There also are other "DELL Vostro V130" with 7200RPM HDD anyway.. even that can be hard to find on a laptop apparently >.<
If u want to look it up, just google it, I don't have any particular in mind, just thought it was interesting. Probably one of those you can customise?