$1300 budget for either a laptop or two PCs. Need help

RJones35

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
My parents are divorced and I need help to choose between building 2 PCs or getting a higher tier laptop with a budget of $1300.

razer switch

Estimable
Jun 8, 2014
get one 1300$ pc unless you really need mobility
if you build your own pc it will be more powerfull than a laptop of the same specs

tell me what do you want to do with your new machine

G

Yeah, although it's not like years ago when the relation between pc price/perf was x2 vs notebooks (2pc$/perf = not$/perf) you still get more specs by getting a desktop. However, a 1000$ laptop today has an nvidia gtx 860m while a desktop has an 760 which is still better but it's not like it smashes the laptop, there's also the fact that you still have to buy a new monitor, keyboard and microphone in case you didn't have one already. You could've upgraded to an 870m with that money. The best thing about desktops is that they don't have heating problems, but they aren't really portable. In my opinion, consoles will remain being the first place when it comes to gaming, desktops will slowly dissappear (although you could say that they'd get mixed with the consoles), laptops will be what desktops are today but smaller, and well... phones, tablets, watches, whatever technology keeps bringing us on. Anyway, I'd rather stop here before #masterrace idiots arrive, I don't know if it's worse comparing your phone and your watch or your console and your desktop pc

tldr: don't read and let's get to the point

there's a good reason why there are notebooks, because of mobility. If you need mobility then get a notebook. If you don't need it and rather get an extra boost, then get it. If you want weaker desktops than just one, then get them.
This is a matter of opinion and I would like not to interfere in your decision without pointing out any facts, as you may have realised, the text above was written in order to make you know that there are many products made for every ocasion, no product is better than other.