15 Tips and Tricks for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Running command prompt as administrator (pic 12) is using a tedious method.

Hit Windows key, type cmd, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Just the same as Windows7.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]djscribbles[/nom]Running command prompt as administrator (pic 12) is using a tedious method.Hit Windows key, type cmd, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.Just the same as Windows7.[/citation]
Did not know about this. Super cool. Does CTRL SHIFT ENTER work to run anything as admin?

krowbar

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Running command prompt as administrator (pic 12) is using a tedious method.Hit Windows key, type cmd, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.Just the same as Windows7.
You can still do that in Windows 8, or you can just right click where the start button used to be and select command prompt (Admin), both really easy.

G

Another (easier) way to run the command prompt as an admin. When on the desktop, hover your mouse over the lower left corner, right click, and choose "command prompt (run as administrator)".

G

Shutdown even easier with Alt+F4 (actually work as close function for almost everything)

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]krowbar[/nom]You can still do that in Windows 8, or you can just right click where the start button used to be and select command prompt (Admin), both really easy.[/citation]
yes :)

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
These are among the most useful articles I've encountered about Windows 8:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Windows8ProductivityWhoMovedMyCheeseOhThereItIs.aspx
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PinningUsefulAndObscureStuffToTheWindows8StartMenu.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/santhoshonline/archive/2012/08/05/windows8-desktop-keyboard-shortcuts.aspx

"Real" power users should already know about this among other things and wouldn't be caught dead complaining about something as trivial as "lack of start menu".

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Here is another tip for using Windows 8, install ClassicShell and ribbon disabler. This makes the desktop much more useable, enabling you to ignore the Metro crap.

Prodromaki

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Why would you need a shutdown shortcut at all? Just set the power off button to perform a shutdown and you are good to go(I am pretty sure, that this is it's default attitude, on a desktop pc anyway).

jp7189

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Windows Key + X combos are all you need.

For example Windows Key + X, A - pow instance Admin Command Prompt.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Another method for shutdown. Hit the power button on your computer. Most motherboard Bios default the ability to shutdown Windows when you hit the power button. If it doesn't by default, go into the Bios and change the corresponding setting.

floydian101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I'm getting tired of reading these articles that try to make it sound like the traditional windows experience no longer exists. The traditional desktop is fully intact. They make it sound like you have to use the computer in Metro view all the time. The truth is they replaced the start menu with a start screen, which actually works a little better for finding programs (including normal programs like excel, photoshop, etc.), but it doesn't really seem useful for much else yet. Once I got all of my programs pinned to the taskbar, I didn't have to look at the metro screen at all, except for when I initially log in. It's a slightly refined Win 7 experience in the desktop mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.