16GB Verison of Google Nexus 7 Tablet Currently Sold Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
"so the decision was made not to include a front facing camera"

Proofreading seems to have vanished completely these days.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I can certainly see why people seem to take the 16GB over the 8GB version, Although $50 does seem a bit steep for the upgrade.

I have never really understood why manufacturers persist in putting rear facing cameras in tablets in the first place, Anyone using one to take a picture deserves to be hit over the head with the tablet anyway.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
To answer the question in the article, no, I wouldn't want to pay extra for a front facing camera on a tablet. Just seems silly and unnecessary for such a device.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"device doesn't offer means of adding storage"

Isn't that a bit shortsighted ?
Basics like memory upgrades, or replacing of bad memory should be available. Even if you have to have it done at a local 'authorized' place to keep the warranty.
Same with battery changes. They should be quick and easy too so you could simply have a spare battery with you on a long day on the road.

G

I have *never* taken a photo with my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Kudos to Samsung for realizing this was a silly waste of parts and preventing anyone from attempting to use the tablet as a giant camera.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"device doesn't offer means of adding storage"Isn't that a bit shortsighted ?Basics like memory upgrades, or replacing of bad memory should be available. Even if you have to have it done at a local 'authorized' place to keep the warranty.Same with battery changes. They should be quick and easy too so you could simply have a spare battery with you on a long day on the road.[/citation]

It's quality control, and even though I'm not an Apple fan, it's a good model for manufacturers. This way you know everyone has the same RAM and also not some cheap SD CARD that is slow and full of errors. It makes everything a lot smoother for the manufacturer. I also don't understand why people think that the new consoles should be upgradable, the point of developing for them is that they are all the same.

Now the battery I agree with, there should be a replaceable battery. You can also root the device and connect USB storage through the port.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I think they made the right decision. Where do you typically use a tablet? Probably at home. I have digital cameras already, that are much higher quality than any tablet camera ever will be, and are more convenient to use. I probably wouldn't even use the front-facing camera, although I can see the use for it in videochat.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I got a Nexus 7. I paid the extra $50 to get the 16GB, but to answer the article: I would not have paid more to get a rear-facing camera. As has already been said by others, mine will not travel much so why would I use such hardware? I have a cellphone already in my pocket at all times and a good camera for occasional quality shots.

G

Apps like EverNote allow you to take notes, similar to creating powerpoint slides, and having a rear-facing camera can be useful (I use my other droid tablet to document network infrastructure, then a quick flip up to take a snapshot and incorporate it into the slide.) My only reason so far for wanting a rear-facing camera on the N7.

> "Because the device doesn't offer means of adding storage"

False. Rooted N7 + OTG cable + USB Drive + StickMount = all the removable storage you could want.

Status
Not open for further replies.