17-Inch PS3 Slim Laptop Looks Tasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I got to say..Pretty badass. I am a pc fan and while this isn't going to attract me to buy a ps3 slim or anything like that, the creativity is 10/10.

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I love seeing pictures of custom mods people do on consoles/PC cases. It takes a level of dedication, creativity, and skill to produce what they come up with. A great community to watch.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The reason sony took it away is because it was not usable as a general purpose linux install. The Graphics subsysystem was locked out so the linux gui was too slow to use. If you're into command line os's then it'd work fine... but most of us installed a normal linux image and it ran so PAINFULLY slow that it made the console look bad.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Only problem would be touching it after 15minutes of use, you have any idea how hot PS3s get when they run for extended periods of time, it puts my OC'd computer to shame.

My PS3 slim just spews hot air and this is supposed to be the coolest running of the PS3's, I can't imagine how they managed to cool this laptop mod.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Meh, wouldn't it be easier to have an actual laptop? If the intent is to have it as a portable gaming device, this is not the way I'd want it. Don't get me wrong, it looks cool and I admire the craftsmanship but it seems totally impractical to me.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Ben Heck's stuff is fantastic. He's been doing this kind of stuff for a good while now and his console mods are always super-professional. The work he's done on one handed console controllers is also inspirational.

xonda

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I think its just AWESOME!
Now, if he adapt the keyboard, touchpad, a couple of USB ports and a hack to allow Linux install with RSX 2D/3D acceleration on Linux we may have a nice SUPERCOMPUTING Laptop.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]The reason sony took it away is because it was not usable as a general purpose linux install.[/citation]Actually it was probably economics. The consoles are sold at a lost with the expectation that software royalties will make up for it. If you buy a dozen consoles and turn them into a cluster instead of buying games then the manufacturer is subsidizing your activity instead of profiting from it.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Blasphemy, I say!

... Nah. It's pretty cool. Useless, but pretty cool. The author really should edit it to say "Many PS3s models (not this one) are capable of running Linux". Could a PS3 original even fit into this kind of mod?

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
The guy that did this better patent the idea before Sony starts marketing a "Lan Party" model of the PS3. He can then sue Sony for millions for IP infringement.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
With that said, if Heckendorn manages to integrate USB ports, a working keyboard, and a rechargable battery

Its a portable high-end game mod. Not a computer. The intent was never to be a computer. If the person wanted a computer, he could spend $500~650 on a HP/Acer with a 17" screen and be more functional without the work.

Yeah, battery would always be a problem... Even if he stuck in a battery that is twice as big as a typical 17" notebook, the PS3-mod would only have enough power for about 30min... at best.

But having the monitor included with his MOD, it allows him to setup anywhere with AC, to play.

When I and most people use our notebooks, its with AC power. (1) faster CPU mode (2) brighter screen. I'd say out of 10hrs of use, maybe 1 of it would be on battery mode.

Its a very cool mod, it looks very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.