$175,000 Projector Displays 4K Resolution

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]No, what Hanin33 doesn't understand is that this is not intended as consumer electronics, but rather designed and marketed as a tool of business, i.e. something you use to make money.[/citation]

um... you're usually pretty good about this.. but i suppose you ignored some of the story since it was from Kevin... but he does state:

JVC revealed the high-end "home" cinema projector today at the CEDIA Expo in Atlanta, Georgia, showing consumers it's high-def goodness at the Omni Hotel North Tower.

so... like i said, people that would want this in their home(s) or any other place they wish to watch video would find the price of this device meaningless...

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]4K resolution is something else than 10Mpix resolution!I came here to see why a 4000pixel projector could possibly cost $175K, but instead I find it's not because it's a 4K, but a 10M projector!Big difference![/citation]

Umm... 4k Resolution, meaning 4000 (4096) horizontal pixels is the same as 10 million total pixels. 4096 horizontal x 2040 veritcal is about 9,830,400 total pixels.

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
This isn't exactly "new" per se. Sony has had a 4K SRDX projector easily for a couple of years. Of course, with no source material, no one cares. But yes, imagine four HD football gamed, or four seperate game consoles in full...call it "standard" HD at the same time. Plenty of applications for this feature.

G

@chaos:

If it was intended for business purposes it wouldn't be at CEDIA in the first place, it'd have been at Infocomm. This isn't for good theatre, this isn't to have a revolutionary product. This is a $175,000 reason that you are better than your neighbors. People will and do spend this kind of money just so they can say they have the best product out there. 3500 Lumens for $175,000? Serious product? You've got to be kidding.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Oh, my buddy has a mitsubishi hc1600dlp projector. Let me tell you, it looks as good as being in the theater if you ask me. Cost, 700 bucks. If you hook up 6 of these on a big enough wall, I assure you will be happy with it. LOL.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
What kind of screen would have to go with this? I'm guessing this would have to be for a large commercial venue where you are sitting far away. You would be hard pressed to find a flat enough surface to handle that kind of resolution in a house setting as minor imperfections or surface elevations on the projected surface would show up. I would think you'd need at least a 300" projection area to be even close to a match for 4k (not counting the split screen deal, which is cool). LOL, I know if you have $175,000 to blow on such a thing, you probably have some kind of large theater room, but, when the tech comes way down in price, pocked surfaces will become a consideration.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Actually, unless it's a big imperfection, you don't really notice it because of the screen size. At my friends old house he had a white thermostat sitting just in the screen, and u didn't really notice it unless u looked directly at it. You could just use a big wall and some projector paint. It would be cool to have a nice flat vaulted ceiling. If I owned my own house I would have no problem knocking out a few walls. Hook the pc up to it and play some games on it.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
It turns out that I was wrong about the 4K. I said it denoted the number of lines but after looking into it more closely it is actually related to the horizontal pixels. Here's a quote from a more or less reliable source:
[citation][nom]Wikipedia - Screen Resolution[/nom]Although there is not a unique set of standardized sizes, it is common place within motion picture industry to refer to "nK" image "quality", where n is a (small, usually even) integer number which translates into a set of actual resolutions, depending on the film format. As a reference consider that, for a 4:3 (around 1.33) aspect ratio which a film frame (no matter what is its format) is expected to horizontally fit in, n is the multiplier of 1024 such that the horizontal resolution is exactly 1024n points. For example, 2K reference resolution is 2048×1536 pixels, whereas 4K reference resolution is 4096×3072 pixels. Nevertheless, 2K may also refer to resolutions like 2048×1556, 2048×1080 or 2048×858 pixels, whereas 4K may also refer to 4096×3112, 3996×2160 or 4096×2048 resolution. It is also worth noting that while a frame resolution may be, for example, 3:2 (720×480 NTSC), that is not what you will see on-screen (i.e. 4:3 or 16:9 depending on the orientation of the rectangular pixels).[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS