$188 is How Much the iPhone 4 Hardware is Worth

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onekill

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Beayn, hes not feeding mis-information, you are. Apple and all the other cell phone makers do this thing call subsidizing. The carrier takes a hit on the cost of the cell phone so your locked into the contract. Apple doesn't get ANY of the money associated with AT&T's network. Why do you think its $175-$200 to cancel the contract from your cell phone company? It's because the cell phone company needs to recoup some, but usually all of the cell phone cost. So before you go telling people there spreading mis information, do some research =P

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]onekill[/nom]Beayn, hes not feeding mis-information, you are. Apple and all the other cell phone makers do this thing call subsidizing. The carrier takes a hit on the cost of the cell phone so your locked into the contract. Apple doesn't get ANY of the money associated with AT&T's network. Why do you think its $175-$200 to cancel the contract from your cell phone company? It's because the cell phone company needs to recoup some, but usually all of the cell phone cost. So before you go telling people there spreading mis information, do some research =P[/citation]

We're saying the same thing in different words. The issue was that Apple was not making profit on their phones being sold at $200, when in fact they get more than $200 for the phones. As you just stated, the carrier takes the hit on the cost of the phone, which is exactly the same as Apple getting a portion of the carrier fees, since the carrier makes it back during the contract. Apple is still getting paid a lot more than $200 for each phone. If the phone costs $600 and you pay $200, the carrier takes a $400 hit. $400 of a $2500 contract for 2 years is a significant portion (16%) of the carrier fees, which Apple gets.

Excuse me for keeping my post short and not precisely explaining how the money is exchanged, but we are saying the exact same things. Apple gets more than $200 on the phones.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
[citation][nom]marcusmurphy[/nom]I work in manufacturing and if you have ever built anything you would know that material is, on average, about 60-65% of the cost with labor & overhead accounting for the rest. At most, software, labor, & overhead included... the iPhone 4 costs $300. Still a cool $300 profit for Apple.[/citation]

I do work in manufacturing and if our material cost ever got as high as 60%, I would either be looking for all the thieves carrying parts out the back door, or figure out which line was running 50% scrap parts. My LOH runs more than my material, I guess maybe that is because we pay people a decent wage though?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Here is what I said:

'You aren't getting what you pay for when you are on a crappy network that wants $2500 for the next two years'Well, 1.7 million people disagreed with you within 3 days.And it's not like the network charges go to Apple anyway.And it's not like when you sign up for a contract that ALL YOU GET is a phone. You get a phone number, free internet (depending on the contract), free calls, free text messages for 2 years.Silly, silly comment

Then Beayn said the following:

'There goes the Apple fanboy again'

How pathetic to describe people as a fanboy just because they prove your idiocy.

'Guess what, Apple does get a significant portion of the network charges, that's how they charge a lower price for the phone itself when you sign a contract'

Sorry, lets journey back. The original figure quoted was $2500 for network charges. I stated that (and I quote) 'And it's not like the network charges go to Apple anyway'. That remains true. You are then trying to ignore my argument that the $2500 doesn't go to apple, by arguing that $200 or $400 of it does? You later go on to state that 16% of the network fees go to Apple. Now is 16% more or less than 100%? Is 16% of $2500, $2500? Of course not.

So your own point COMPLETELY proves my point that the $2500 is inaccurate because you get A LOT MORE for your money than that, and that is NOT THE AMOUNT which goes to Apple. You just tried to prove that I was wrong in saying that $2500 doesn't go to Apple, by arguing that only $600 does.

Do you get it now? lol!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
@watcha

You said: "You just tried to prove that I was wrong in saying that $2500 doesn't go to Apple, by arguing that only $600 does. Do you get it now? lol!"

Um. Yeah. Do YOU get it? You said none of it goes to Apple, I said some of it does. lol... You're trying to bash me for making a correct point against your incorrect point and you just admitted I was correct but tried to make it look like I'm stupid for being correct. gg.

Was I supposed to argue that all of it goes to Apple and thus, AT&T goes bankrupt? lol? So I'm dumb for not saying something even dumber? Think about what you just said... The only point I was contesting was you saying none of the fees go back to apple when in fact some of the money does. Anything else you're saying makes no sense.

Yes, you are an Apple fanboy. You get so offended by every single anti-apple post and freak out, attacking them at every opportunity going on about how perfect Apple is. You need to learn how to make a legitimate argument for something without freaking out and insulting every person on the board who might dislike the company for various reasons. Every time you make such a post, you solidify the haters stances and prove their points about fanboys perfectly.

Go back to that first article we argued on and read somebody's post in which he said the iPhone was good for HIM. He made lots of good, calm and collected points about why he liked it. He never said Apple was the bestest EVAR, he never said everyone else was stupid, he never said it was the #1 bestest most advanced perfect phone in the world, he just said he liked it.

His post was much more meaningful and would do better to convert an apple hater than all your current and future posts combined. In fact I would say yours have the opposite effect, creating more haters and solidifying their stances.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol! I would expect better from a tech website!
if you read the ACTUAL sales pitch, its $199 + $1bazilion a month for the rest of your life, locked to a crappy network!!! and lets not forget all of AT&Ts new data plan/limits cost cutting that they could also be passing onto Apple (who are probably making them pay more and more for exclusivity)

at very least report the outright cost! which is like 5 or 6 HUNDRED DOLLARS and STILL locked to AT&T

I would expect the mindless Apple drones to completely ignore on going costs, and OBVIOUS subsidies, but not this site: for instance, in Aus, you get the phone for "FREE"!!!...

chodaboy

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Engadget + Anandtech pretty much provides 5 times the review and sneak peek you get at Tom's with less spelling mistake. In fact, Tom’s “news” is exactly one day late than Engadget.[/citation]

Don't comment on their spelling if can't even get it right yourself. Btw; Anand, BSN*, Hothardware, Ars, Wired, Tech Report, etc... all have spelling errors.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
@beayn

I said: "You just tried to prove that I was wrong in saying that $2500 doesn't go to Apple, by arguing that only $600 does. Do you get it now? lol!"

You then said

'Um. Yeah. Do YOU get it? You said none of it goes to Apple, I said some of it does'

Firstly, I said that it doesn't ALL go to Apple. You then tried to prove THAT wrong by arguing that SOME OF IT DOES. Plz learn, lol.

Which makes this quote

'lol... You're trying to bash me for making a correct point against your incorrect point and you just admitted I was correct but tried to make it look like I'm stupid for being correct. gg.'

... all the more tragic.

'Was I supposed to argue that all of it goes to Apple and thus, AT&T goes bankrupt? lol?'

It's good that you are now realising that the $2500 doesn't go to Apple, so when I said that the $2500 doesn't go to Apple, I was infact, correct ;-)

I never claimed that none of it goes to Apple, I claimed that the $2500 figure is incorrect, which it is.

'Yes, you are an Apple fanboy. You get so offended by every single anti-apple post and freak out, attacking them at every opportunity going on about how perfect Apple is'

I don't own any Apple products, and if anything, you are exactly the opposite of what you claim I am. You are a bitter jealous nobody who doesn't like anything 'fashionable' or out of reach for you. You have an anti-apple stance so obvious it borders on ridiculous.

'You need to learn how to make a legitimate argument for something without freaking out and insulting every person on the board who might dislike the company for various reasons'

You insulted yourself by trying to argue with my point that you get more than just the phone for the $2500, and that it doesn't go to Apple.

I would quote your further incessant rambling but it basically boils down to 'oi, don't be nice about Apple - I hate apple because I have an inferiority complex and I do not like the majority of people liking Apple because I like to justify the fact I'm a freak by not being 'mainstream'.

You effectively boil down to the philosophy of a goth. You should really learn that everything you tried to criticise me of is more applicable to you ;-)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Because it is an overhyped, overpriced, under-specced, badly designed, easily broken, bad reception, battery-draining piece of shit that despite being on it's 4th major release still has no external storage and doesn't let you watch flash videos?

Overhyped? So marketing a product makes it bad?

Overpriced? Currently they can't make enough to satisy demand. The true value of a product is dictated by supply/demand. If anything, it could be more expensive.

Under-specced? This is a completely subjective measure. You could compare processor speeds/memory, you could compare camera MPX, so many different ways. In my opinion, the key measure is performance. Please refer to the anandtech article which shows that the performance of the IPhone4 is better than all the main rivals in most of the tests, and a close second on the odd test where it isn't the fastest.

Badly Designed? I think this one is partially fair. The antenna design looks to be flawed (pending the software fix) - I guess that's what happens when you try to tread new territory. However, the rest of the design of the phone, throughout, is arguably far superior to any of its competitors and has received rave reviews.

Easily Broken? It can handle being dropped more than a few times without a case, so unless you plan on throwing it around I disagree with that.

Bad Reception? It has the best reception of any of the IPhone range, to quote Anandtech 'There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS.'

Battery Draining? Longer battery life than ANY of it's competitors - Nexus One, Evo, Droid ALL get less battery life.

No External Storage - This is a fair criticism, although for many users the supplied 16/32GB combined with a PC sync means you have enough space.

'Doesnt let you watch flash videos' - Just one quick google found over 10+ apps/plugins which let you watch flash on your iphone - there really are loads. And many of the major flash sites eg YouTube work on the IPhone even without them.

Come on - I don't mind if you don't like the IPhone but some of the claims you make are just simply not true :s

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
@watcha 'Firstly, I said that it doesn't ALL go to Apple. You then tried to prove THAT wrong by arguing that SOME OF IT DOES. Plz learn, lol.'

Wow dude you are so clueless you're making this just a big waste of time. The ONLY point I argued was that some of the money you pay during the 2 year contract goes to Apple. You said NONE of it does. I quoted you. "It's not like the network fees go to apple anyway". That is saying none of the money goes to apple when in fact some of it does. That is the *ONLY* point I contested. I did not say anything else about anything.

'It's good that you are now realising that the $2500 doesn't go to Apple, so when I said that the $2500 doesn't go to Apple, I was infact, correct ;-)"

Wow... just wow. I NEVER argued that ALL of the money goes to apple. Why do you keep insisting that's what I said when I didn't? I only pointed out that some of it does indeed go to Apple because you in fact said NONE of it does. You have got to be the dumbest person I've ever tried to argue with. Either that or you think I made a post that someone else made and you think I'm arguing something I'm not. Either way you make absolutely no sense and you have confirmed your IQ is below 90.

"I never claimed that none of it goes to Apple, I claimed that the $2500 figure is incorrect, which it is."

Yes, you did say none of it goes to Apple. Let me quote you a third time. "It's not like the network fees go to Apple anyway."

'I don't own any Apple products'

Yes, you own every Apple product that ever existed. You prove it every time you make a post.

"and if anything, you are exactly the opposite of what you claim I am. You are a bitter jealous nobody who doesn't like anything 'fashionable' or out of reach for you."

Apple products are not out of reach to me, why would they be? Have you somehow come to the conclusion that I have no money or something?

I don't care about the company one way or another, it's only people like you who I feel the need to respond to. Apparently you totally missed the point about posting your opinion on a product without attacking everyone. I pointed out before that someone made a perfectly reasonable pro-iPhone post in which he stated it was great for him and did not attack anyone. Learn from it.

Unfortunately for all of us here, all you ever do is attack every single person on this forum who might say that Apple is not #1, and that's not saying anything about the haters. The difference between us is the only person I go after is YOU, fanboy.

You said: "You have an anti-apple stance so obvious it borders on ridiculous."

Actually, it's just an anti-watcha stance. Anyone who blindly attacks people without fully understanding what they're talking about needs to be told.

'You insulted yourself by trying to argue with my point that you get more than just the phone for the $2500, and that it doesn't go to Apple.'

What? *I* never said anything about getting more than just the phone for $2500. You must have me mixed up with someone else. The ONLY THING I SAID... Now please listen carefully. The ONLY thing I said was that Apple gets some of the money you pay during your 2 year contract, when you said Apple does get any of it. It's such a simple concept it boggles my mind how you don't understand it. You are either incredibly dumb or incredibly confused.

"I would quote your further incessant rambling but it basically boils down to 'oi, don't be nice about Apple - I hate apple because I have an inferiority complex and I do not like the majority of people liking Apple because... blah blah"

Ahem.. I have not said anything bad about Apple in our discussions. I have only ever responded to your retarded posts and commented on your Apple fanboy stereotype. I believe I said once that the iPhone is not the #1 product out there and that there are more advanced phones available. You simply assumed that meant it sucks because in your fanboy's mind, anything that isn't #1 must suck.

You can pretend all you want who I am and what my position is on Apple, but you are the one who have made yourself quite clear that you're just a fanboy who gets angry when someone doesn't like your precious products or company. You toss around insults constantly to most of the people on this board and even make things up to attack someone over (such as saying I said something I didn't, multiple times).

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Beayn, seriously, lol... you're making yourself look tragic.

'It's not like the network fees go to apple anyway'
... is still 100% true. Not only do NONE OF THE NETWORK fees go to Apple, but the money that does go (not the network fees) is much smaller than $2500. For the network fees to go to apple, 100% would need to go. If you look at the context of the whole post of mine, it was to say that you aren't just getting a phone for $2500, that money doesn't just go to apple - you get texts, calls, internet.

'Wow... just wow. I NEVER argued that ALL of the money goes to apple'

I never said you did. I said you tried to argue against my point that the $2500 doesn't go to apple by saying that a small part of it does. When that in fact proves my point.

'Actually, it's just an anti-watcha stance. Anyone who blindly attacks people without fully understanding what they're talking about needs to be told.'

Lets face it, all you're doing is making yourself look pedantic, anti-apple and like you can't understand words in context.

' all you ever do is attack every single person on this forum who might say that Apple is not #1'

I think you're mistaking one anti-apple moron who I *corrected* with the rest of the people on here. Don't insult them plz ;-)

Now, for the best 2 quotes in your longgg tearful response:

'I have not said anything bad about Apple in our discussions'

'there are more advanced phones available'

LOL, cos saying there are better phones available doesn't insult the IPhone? Denial.

'you're just a fanboy who gets angry when someone doesn't like your precious products or company'

Yeah, I'm the one with the raging posts ;-) LOL

' You toss around insults constantly to most of the people on this board and even make things up to attack someone over '

= an example of the rage.

Brief summary:

1 - Someone says you pay $2500 for an Iphone due to the contract
2 - I say that you get more than just a phone, you get texts, etc, and the network charges don't go to apple.
3 - You come along, crying, going on about just how much goes to Apple (but of course in a pro-apple way, god forbid you would say a bad thing)
4 - I point out that even if some goes to Apple - it ISNT the network charges and it ISNT $2,500 - exactly in line with my original statement
5 - You go on mental rage saying I insult everyone when the only moron I've insulted is you :s

;-)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'drop tests' - I read the article, and the result was that it handled a few drops fine, which is why I said 'It can handle being dropped more than a few times without a case, so unless you plan on throwing it around I disagree with that.'

'Battery screwing IOS4' - you're referring to old IPhones, not the new one. Here's the battery life analysis:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/13

'"you're holding it wrong" reception' - again, to quote Anandtech: ''There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS.''

'comparison of componants' - I assume you mean 'Components'. You can't directly compare the components because they don't run the same chipsets and we don't even know the frequency of the A4 in the IPhone. Not only that, what are components for? Performance. The Anandtech data proves that the IPhone 4 performs better than the competition.

Lets stay factual, shall we? :)

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
@watcha

That's a nice summary there. Good to see your sadly biased side of it. All everyone else has to do is search Apple article comments for watcha and see you attacking multiple people tossing around insults and arguing with people when not fully understanding the issues. Or you just argue when you do understand the issue and just want to argue.

You said: "LOL, cos saying there are better phones available doesn't insult the IPhone? Denial."

Fanboy mentality right there. Just because something isn't #1, does not mean it sucks. Get over it. They aren't the best out there. That is NOT saying they aren't good, nor is it saying the phone isn't ideal for some people. The 2nd or 3rd best hockey player, baseball player, or any other sport definitely does not suck just because they aren't #1. Keep twisting things around, Fanboy.

Network fees: Again, I've explained this countless times, you just can't get it through your thick skull. Go read my post again, strain yourself to understand, maybe you will one day.

You're just a troll who makes Apple fanboys look bad. You are why so many haters hate the fanboys and not actually apple.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I'm willing to bet money that most phones (even nicer ones) are sold/given away for under their respective hardware and parts cost.

so 200$ for a 190$ phone (hardware only) isn't really impressive.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
@beayn

'@watcha

That's a nice summary there. Good to see your sadly biased side of it. All everyone else has to do is search Apple article comments for watcha and see you attacking multiple people tossing around insults and arguing with people when not fully understanding the issues. Or you just argue when you do understand the issue and just want to argue.'

= one big irrelevant troll. And by the way, I was pointing out facts, not insulting anyone :)

'Fanboy mentality right there. Just because something isn't #1, does not mean it sucks.'

Wheras me claiming that something IS NUMBER 1, instantly makes me a fan boy? Bit hypocritical, don't you think? And by the way, if something isn't number 1 it DOES MEAN it sucks RELATIVE to the #1. That's the whole point.

' The 2nd or 3rd best hockey player, baseball player, or any other sport definitely does not suck just because they aren't #1.'

It means they suck compared to the #1 - and they would certainly see it as a criticism if they were trying to claim they were the best. And even if this was true (which it isn't) - my claims that the IPhone4 is obviously the best phone out at the moment would ALSO not mean that the other phones suck - so why cry about it?

'You're just a troll who makes Apple fanboys look bad. You are why so many haters hate the fanboys and not actually apple.'

You mean like you. You effectively just proved that you hate people who like Apple - proving my entire point. I am basing my comments on evidenced facts, like the post which angered you. You mistake evidenced facts for a 'fanboy' because you don't like the facts.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
@watcha hahaha so now you are arguing about the definition of "sucks" just for the sake of arguing again and using that arbitrary definition to put words into my mouth. You wrote all that just so you could argue that I DID say Apple sucks. That's pretty sad. You proved my case about you perfectly right there.

"Evidenced facts" You have not shown any evidence of anything in any discussion. You simply twist things around to argue about it, just like you did with the definition of "Sucks" in this post.

You said: "Wheras me claiming that something IS NUMBER 1, instantly makes me a fan boy?"

Claiming that something is #1 does not make you an instant fanboy. It's your dozens of posts across many Apple articles attacking every person who might imply that Apple isn't #1 (and thus must suck by your definition) while claiming that Apple is perfect in every way. THAT is what defines you as a Fanboy, not one single comment.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'@watcha hahaha so now you are arguing about the definition of "sucks" just for the sake of arguing again and using that arbitrary definition to put words into my mouth. You wrote all that just so you could argue that I DID say Apple sucks. That's pretty sad. You proved my case about you perfectly right there.'

Since you brought up this issue, and the whole point of a whole paragraph of one of your previous comments was specifically aiming to deny that you ever insulted Apple, even you should realise this comment is foolish. To label yourself sad, is well, sad ;-)

'You have not shown any evidence of anything in any discussion. You simply twist things around to argue about it'

Yeah the numerous links to articles containing the most in-depth analysis there is on the IPhone are in fact space dust. At least that's what you tell yourself.

'Apple articles attacking every person who might imply that Apple isn't #1 '

LOL, this coming from the guy who says he 'targets' ME , lol! Every single one of your comments today applies more to yourself. The only person I attack is you, and every comment I write to you is a reply. You ought to think about that ;-)

'while claiming that Apple is perfect in every way'

You read calm logical and statistically backed FACTS as claiming Apple is perfect. That annoys you because you don't like Apple - but I'm not gonna hide the truth just to stop you crying, lol. THAT is what makes you an anti-apple cry-boy ;-)

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Wow look at all the Apple articles on here, I could swear we are on MacWorld now or something. Sheesh give it a rest, Tom's. I just went in Fry's yesterday looking at a core i7 laptop I think I am done with this company entirely. $2199 for a laptop I can get from HP for $999. Give me a break.

Let's get back to PC stuff, guys. Seriously.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
lol, good point rooket. It seems like almost every article at the moment is about phones - this is what started out as a PC website :/

Status
Not open for further replies.