CmdrJeffSinclair

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into a Samsung EVO 850 PRO and I was confused about the advertised performance of 550MB/s and the software tech called RAPID and Magician which come with the drive. Typically I hate all software that aren't a game or Microsoft product, but this peaked my interest. What kind of performance should I expect?

So will I get the advertised 550MB/s without RAPID using up 4GB of my RAM or is that only with RAPID? If RAPID is not required for this speed, what kind of speed increase should I expect on top of the 550MB/s WITH RAPID in use?

Lastly, what is Magician? I've tried looking things up but I want real answers from owners. Websites and reviews are filled with jargon and benchmarks that are confusing to read and more confusing to try to skim through.

Thanks everyone!

SPECS:
Already Ordered:
CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 8 cores, 16 threads @3GHz
COOLER: Cooler Master Nepton 280L (54~122.5 CFM)
MOBO: Asus Deluxe X99
RAM: 32GB DDR4 G-Skill Ripjaws @3200MHz CL16
GPU: 8GB Sapphire Radeon R9 295x2
----
Not yet ordered:
SSD: Looking at the 1TB Samsung EVO 850 PRO as main drive
SSD#2/HDD: Looking at a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 ---or--- a 1TB Western Digital VelociRaptor @10,000RPM w/ 64MB Cache as a backup drive
PSU: Looking at an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W
MONITOR: Will order this when DisplayPort 1.3 hits stores 24" Asus V248QE 144Hz 1080p LED-Lit

Solution
I believe that the 550MB/s is *with* the RAPID mode running. There's no downside to running it.

I can't comment on the subject of Magician, unfortunately.
-JP

CmdrJeffSinclair

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

Holy crap! I just found the info I was looking for. Apparently 550MB/s is without RAPID and with it, there is a boost to 1GB/s!!! That's a lot more than I expected. I think the site said I need to install Magician 4.2 and enable RAPID. I do see that it can cause issues if there is a power loss since it uses RAM as a cache or as a buffer, so an Uninterruptable Power Supply is suggested. (Somehow I doubt I'd find an UPS worth the dough to supply a 1300W load)