2.1 setup , how to?

Hyedwtditpm

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
I'm about to buy a 2.1 for my pc.
Considering, i'm sitting 70 cm away from the screen. Whats the optimal placement of the 2 speakers? How apart should they be?

Solution
You have two placement issues (sats and sub).
For the sats start with them as far apart as they can be. You can aim them towards you or straight ahead. If you don't get sound from the center then move them closer together.
For the sub your will get the most output if the sub is as close to a corner as you can but the bass will be uneven and boomy. It's a trade off. Try different locations around your PC area readjusting the level at each location. If you have EQ available on your PC that can be used to help flatten tubby bass but you have to be very sparing in boosting bass as it can add distortion.

Hyedwtditpm

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Shape of the room , doesn't allow me to try every setup. so if i knew, an optimal replacement of 2.1 systems, i could arrange the room furnature.

Those subwoofers have big magnets inside them. Can i place them near the UPS or computer case?

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
I would keep the subwoofer far from any other tech even if the case limits the magnet it still might lead to unwanted situations.
I can tell you how i have my 2.1 setup on my old desktop:
the 2 speakers are both next to the monitor (left side and right side of it), my computer case is on the left outer side of the desk and the SW is on the inner right side of the desk (where my legs usually are). My monitor (also speakers) are like 80cm away from me and the speakers are like 15cm away from the monitor and are slightly turned to eachother
As for the ups... i dont have one so i cant tell you about it but at work in many cases the ups is right next to the case or even on it

You are overthinking things a bit here, are you getting very high end speakers and are putting up acoustic panels with pressure meters to measure sound levels? If not, just a rough placement is fine, either side of the desk, tilted in a bit towards you.

You have two placement issues (sats and sub).
For the sats start with them as far apart as they can be. You can aim them towards you or straight ahead. If you don't get sound from the center then move them closer together.
For the sub your will get the most output if the sub is as close to a corner as you can but the bass will be uneven and boomy. It's a trade off. Try different locations around your PC area readjusting the level at each location. If you have EQ available on your PC that can be used to help flatten tubby bass but you have to be very sparing in boosting bass as it can add distortion.

Solution