2.1 Speakers only work when wire is positioned in a certain way..

Masamune_Smokey

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
I have a 2.1 CA speaker system (Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068P8R/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
They've worked well for months since I got them, then all of a sudden they don't work 100%. I have to wrestle with the wire and find a position that it will play sound out of both speakers simultaneously. Otherwise I get sound coming out of 1 speaker. I'd like to find out the problem so thanks in advance.

Solution
well... you may be able to figure out where in the wire the issue is by flexing certain parts of it. you can probably figure out if its the connection inside from jiggling that area.

if its a connection on the inside of the speaker some resoldering is probably all it would take. if its an issue with the 3.5mm end you would need to put a new one on.

if its a break in the wire you could either replace the wire or splice it (replacing would be the best option).

of course you could just go straight to replacing the wire instead of screwing with it. before you do... how does the speaker connect up? does it have a 3.5mm plug into the sub or does it have bare speaker wire leads? regardless... you will need to figure out which lead goes...
sounds like you might have a broken wire or loose connection somewhere on the speaker which turns off.

it could be in the wire... or it could be where the connection goes inside the speaker (perhaps poor soldering job on the speaker) or on the plug end.

Masamune_Smokey

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014

I think it's in the wire, I wrapped it up and I had an easier time getting it to play. I have a soldering iron and some flux, what else would I need to fix it?

well... you may be able to figure out where in the wire the issue is by flexing certain parts of it. you can probably figure out if its the connection inside from jiggling that area.

if its a connection on the inside of the speaker some resoldering is probably all it would take. if its an issue with the 3.5mm end you would need to put a new one on.

if its a break in the wire you could either replace the wire or splice it (replacing would be the best option).

of course you could just go straight to replacing the wire instead of screwing with it. before you do... how does the speaker connect up? does it have a 3.5mm plug into the sub or does it have bare speaker wire leads? regardless... you will need to figure out which lead goes where inside the speaker so you can replace the wire correctly. if its just bare leads you can likely get away with just speaker wire. if its a 3.5mm end its probably easier to just buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, cut the end off and solder the correct wires on to the speaker.

your choice... but it shouldnt be a big deal with some basic skills.

Solution