2.5" SSD mount/bracket for laptop?

Hopkinfrog

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have this really annoying problem that I've spent hours trying to solve without success.
How can I install a 2.5" SSD (Samsung 960 EVO) in my Laptop (Lenovo Legion Y520)? When I open up the latop the 2.5" is empty (the PC has a NVMe SSD as default storage and an emtpy 2.5# slot) without a mount/bracket/case.

I could just slot it into the SATA connector but then nothing is holding the SSD in place except for the SATA connection.

I've spent hours with Lenovo support and googling trying to find where to get one of these mounts with no success and would really appreciate your expertise!

Thanks!

Solution
The HDD bracket (part #:5B40N00288) could be found online.
I was in the same predicament and I used double sided tape to hold the SSD to the laptop.
Another unit I was upgrading, did not even come with the SATA connector for the 2nd disk.
I went online and found them both here.

Hopkinfrog

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Thanks Electr0_90 but the thing is that the SSD is actually elevevated like 1/4 of an inch or so when connected. Also, there is no "case" if you are referring to a mount/bracket.

jojesa

Distinguished
The HDD bracket (part #:5B40N00288) could be found online.
I was in the same predicament and I used double sided tape to hold the SSD to the laptop.
Another unit I was upgrading, did not even come with the SATA connector for the 2nd disk.
I went online and found them both here.

Solution

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Just use the Double Tape (the foam style one) and put many together to make a pillar for it to rest on.
It won't break, all will be fine, the foam offers the pillar of support.
Easiest, simplist solution.