2 Dell Inspiron 1545s with different problems

jazzbassoon

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
Hello,
I have two Dell Inspiron 1545s. One has been working fine (after some tinkering) but randomly beeps twice at startup and won't boot anymore. If I'm correct that means there's a problem with the memory. So I tried reseating the memory, switching sticks between the two computers, and I can't get it to work. Is there something else I should try?

The other one won't startup at all. I push the power button and nothing happens. I tried putting the system board in the other computer to see if the power supply was the problem but it didn't work. When I took it to my cousin's house it turned on, but after coming home again it won't turn on anymore. Any ideas?
I'm perfectly willing to Frankenstein the two laptops to make one working one.

jazzbassoon

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
On closer inspection the motherboards for the two laptops are slightly different. One is a 48 4AQ01 .011 08212-1 and the other is a 48 4AQ01 .031 08212-3. Also the charger boards are similarly different. Are motherboards only compatible with one charger board? I guess I'm asking if when I put the one system board into the other charger board and it didn't work does that actually mean the system board has a problem or are they not compatible and the charger board could be the problem?

jazzbassoon

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
I didn't do anything different. Jpst plugged into the wall. After doing some swapping I've gotten the beeping motherboard to beep with both charger boards. And the other one doesn't boot with either board. Both power buttons work. I don't know much about voltage testing but it looked like power wan coming out of the dc jack, and into the battery charger. But still doesn't do anything. Does that mean a dead system board? Any thoughts on the board that beeps?

jazzbassoon

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
No I don't. I just know it showed the dell screen at boot. I wish I could get one of them to show the boot screen so I could figure it out. The Dell website just says it's version A14 of the dell system bios.

jazzbassoon

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
I guess I haven't looked at that. From this site http://blog.parts-people.com/2014/06/27/dell-inspiron-1545-beep-codes-diagnostic-indicators/ I thought it was the memory. I'll try and check out the video card