2 phones 1 mac address

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubygloom

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Hi,
After some help. Few questions here;

1 - Through an internet website, would it be possible for 2 iPhones to show as having same mac and ip addresses if both using the same wifi connection?

2 - if using a 3G connection could
Someone intelligent enough get hold
Of my phones MAC address?

3 - is finding out someone's MAC address just for the sake of it legal?

4 - how easy is it for someone to copy and replicate my MAC address?

Rubygloom

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
I'm so sorry. I'm so confused. I'm not techy at all.
This person says they have evidence that me and this other user have same mac and ip so this user has obviously done something clever to get it.
But this other account is not me so I need to know what the hell it could be and why they showing the same :eek:(

Potentially could be a jealous ex but if he'd used his phone through the wifi here would we show the same??

There's a number of different ways that could happen, and same IP is *not* proof.

If you're on the same ISP and that ISP is doing funky things with their IP allocations (which many are), it's entirely possible that they show up as the same. However, smaller sites won't have the throughput to see that happen often.

If he'd used his phone on your WiFi to connect to the site, it would show up.

Rubygloom

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
So in short what this person has is not proof that it's me, using one phone and having multiple accounts. Because it's possible what she sees is a jealous ex playing funny buggers??

Rubygloom

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Me again :eek:) this is still ongoing and playing on my mind. It's worrying whether through wifi or 3G someone can find out the MAC address of my iPhone, as this is personal to each individual device right?
So also how the hell is another user showing the same as me????

You may want to confirm with the person that they can actually see the MAC address. This is good reading: http://superuser.com/questions/114110/is-your-mac-address-revealed-when-you-hit-up-a-website

IP is easy enough; you don't need any trickery to get it. Just randomly end up on the same dynamic IP shortly after you, or get on the same bundle of CG-NAT users. Low probably for smaller sites (because if you only have a few hundred users the chance two are practically in the same place is small), but we have piles of people who show up as the same person as completely unrelated accounts.

Lutfij

Splendid
Rubygloom, I'm sorry to hear your troubles. Cyber stalking and harassment aren't productive and aren't healthy to say the least.

Someone Somewhere and Saga Lout has been really helpful in posting relevant content for reading however have you tried contacting the authorities regarding the issue?

I've cleaned up the last two posts since they are considered thread hi-jacking.

Rubygloom

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
I have yes. Unfortunately they weren't much use. I contacted my phone network provider who gave me some information, they said I could also report this matter and that they would get involved however on talking to the police they said to contact phone provider so not really getting anywhere.
To be honest... I know I've not done anything wrong. So if people want to believe then let them. My conscience is clear.
My concern now is if someone has my
Phones MAC address what could this
Potentially mean to my privacy?

missquizzy

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014
For 2 months u listened to my calls, you encrypted my hard drive, not once but twice, wiped my iPhone, encrypted my back up files, I've lost all my first wipe HD files. How did I track u? It's called perseverance!! When I think about u seeing me naked, I shake with tears.

I found you, through our shared network. You took remote access of my life and never have a damn seeing me cry, as u looked at me through the lens of my phone and Mac!! Shame on you!

Lutfij

Splendid
This thread has been hijacked long enough! OP - this sort of matter is dealt with by the authorities both the ISP/phone operators should be contacted alongside the police dept. They will eventually figure out you're not trolling them(after constant persuasion).

If you'd like the Community Manager will gladly coordinate with the authorities to help nail this case but apart from that have any of you considered;

1| swapping out your phones in hopes of ridding yourselves of the issue?
2| Moving onto a secure internet location as suggested by Saga Lout instead of going with 3G?
3| opening a new account as the cost of your privacy may be higher than the cost of a new device?

Consider this as a public warning missquizzy - thread hijacking will not be tolerated, no matter how uncannily similar the story may seem. If you want open a thread of your own and express your concerns, developments and progress on it.

Part of the Tom's Moderation Team
Lutfij

Status
Not open for further replies.