20% of Consumers See Online TV as Pay TV Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I doubt I'll ever pay for TV again. My wife and I prefer watching things on Netflix, and it has plenty of stuff for the kids too.

The only thing I like to watch on TV is sports, and I can just go to a bar or to a friend's place to catch a game.

katfishgr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]I doubt I'll ever pay for TV again. My wife and I prefer watching things on Netflix, and it has plenty of stuff for the kids too. The only thing I like to watch on TV is sports, and I can just go to a bar or to a friend's place to catch a game.[/citation]

exactly ... netflix, hulu, vudu ... there's plenty to choose from, and for the most part, commercial free ... cable was once a commercial free PAID service ... now we pay to watch commercials :/

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
sigh...i commented without logging in and evertyhing got erases....sometimes i strongly dislike you toms....
"Dish Network" and "consider"

I am one of the people that no longer watches TV. I use my XBOX for Netflix, PC for Hulu and other stuff both connected to my projector. Verizon, if your reading this, DONT TOUCH REDBOX, your doing fine, keep up the good work. (only on redbox, your shared data plan deals suck)Why you may ask? Because 150 channels of which i only watch ESPN, DIY and Speed is not worth the full price to me. Get a channel for Anime as well dang it! Until then, over the air HD for me.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I live in Australia and we don't have a single good online media service.

Quickflix is a half-assed attempt at serving movies and tv shows but it only has crap from HBO for TV, all new movie releases to the site you have to pay for individually on top of your subscription and 50% of movies and TV shows can only be watched when they send you a DVD (no streaming for lots of content).

G

Until dumb shows that appeal to mass idiots like American Idol are available online then cable isn't going away. FYI they're not available online and this is 100% intentional.

akopp21

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
"ABI Research said that about 20 percent of consumers would consumer such a move, "

They might consider it, but I don't think they'd comsumer it.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I'm surprised more people haven't ruled TV packages out of the equation completely.... for fucks sake! are they aware of the crap that is being broadcast these days? Like my favorite channel which was History Channel slowly turned into complete garbage by broadcasting "reality shows", those damn awful pickers, axe men, truckers, swamp men, cajun pawn stars and all that other crap, I consider my self lucky If I ever get to see Modern Marvels anymore. Fuck you History Channel I really hope you go broke with all your crap!

Whew, now that I got that out I must also say that a lot of people still put up with cable or satellite subscription services due to their beloved series and to me that is where Netflix somewhat shines. They may not have the greatest series and the wait time for new seasons is pretty long but the content is of acceptable quality to me and also subtitles are a big plus for any users. I supported Hulu at the beginning but after a while their content was crap, subscribers still had to see Ads and the lack of HD turned me off completely.

I'm waiting for the next evolution of subscription services in where I can pay for only the channels I want and not get a freaking package that includes crap I don't want.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]m32469[/nom]Until dumb shows that appeal to mass idiots like American Idol are available online then cable isn't going away. FYI they're not available online and this is 100% intentional.[/citation]

Its available over the air FOR FREE with a simple antenna.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Only way I'll pay for TV service is if they let me pick and choose the stations I want and pay for just those. Otherwise I'll get exactly what I want online for nearly free.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Only way I'll pay for TV service is if they let me pick and choose the stations I want and pay for just those. Otherwise I'll get exactly what I want online for nearly free.[/citation]

IMO this is the biggest problem with cable TV. I'm not a TV drone... I don't just sit there and watch TV for hours regardless of what is on. If they offered a package that let me, say, watch the NFL and a few shows/channels of my choosing for a cheap price with a dvr, I'd gladly pay for that. But I'm not paying out the ass for 5000 channels I don't care about.

G

I watch maybe one show a week (depends on if there is a series I particularily like) if I could pay maybe 5 bucks a month to get a few stations for a few hours each week then get locked out of the rest of the cable plan I would be a happy camper. but for now its either 60 bucks a month for that one show or go watch it else where for cheaper (netflix/hulu)

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
There is one thing that can save pay for TV, two words. Google Fiber.

But other than that I agree, I have even taken the step of doing a Silicondust Prime, built my own dvr and I still get screwed by the cable provider. But I do pay quite a bit less than I did, because I do not have their set top boxes anymore. I record movies to the HTPC, then have two Xbox's as extenders, one for the living room another for the bedroom, so no longer need their equipment. But here is the rub, the cable card is $2.00 and that is all I need now from the provider as opposed to two set tops for $15.00 a piece. And when i did this I also got rid of some of the premium packages, and a couple of other things to get the monthly bill down.

All in all I should have saved nearly $70.00 a month, but because of the 'bundle' option they had us on, I was only able to save $30.00 a month, still a bit better but irritating nonetheless.

So once its available I will take a long look at Google Fiber. $70.00 for a 2 TB dvr, 8 tuners and gigabit internet? Oh yeah.

fatality1515

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
WOW another one.. "20 percent of consumers would consumer such a move" A bunch apes work at Tom's..

The other mistake I encountered today was in the "Consumers Flock to Purchase New $249 Google Chromebook" news article.. - "It's "basically a netbook with a Web-based OS on it. Why not just buy an Android device and actually be able to use plenty of apps?" The laptop is "basically a netbook with a Web-based OS on it. Why not just buy an Android device and actually be able to use plenty of apps?"

What a bunch of morons! It's the last time I came here for the news. How in the world can you make such mistakes, even without proofreading.. Unbelievable!

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]I'm surprised more people haven't ruled TV packages out of the equation completely.... for fucks sake! are they aware of the crap that is being broadcast these days? Like my favorite channel which was History Channel slowly turned into complete garbage by broadcasting "reality shows", those damn awful pickers, axe men, truckers, swamp men, cajun pawn stars and all that other crap, I consider my self lucky If I ever get to see Modern Marvels anymore. Fuck you History Channel I really hope you go broke with all your crap!Whew, now that I got that out I must also say that a lot of people still put up with cable or satellite subscription services due to their beloved series and to me that is where Netflix somewhat shines. They may not have the greatest series and the wait time for new seasons is pretty long but the content is of acceptable quality to me and also subtitles are a big plus for any users. I supported Hulu at the beginning but after a while their content was crap, subscribers still had to see Ads and the lack of HD turned me off completely. I'm waiting for the next evolution of subscription services in where I can pay for only the channels I want and not get a freaking package that includes crap I don't want.[/citation]
Discovery/TLC/OLN all faced the same changes.

You need 999 Thumbs up

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
When our Dish network contract is up, we may not renew it. Our TV is on only when my parents visit, because my father likes to watch golf. Otherwise, my wife and I watch the few things that interest us online, and I get most of my news from Drudge.
We are absolutely not interested in paying to watch ads.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
My family only pays for basic basic comcast cable...and from what I've surmised - we pay for the FREE news channels (2-7), PBS (which is free I think?), KOFY, Discovery, WGN (I don't know why we get a Chicago channel in California, but ok), and CSPAN (which is free?) and the spanish channels. No one in my family speaks a word of spanish.

Basic cable used to include all channels from 2-60 or so plus a couple higher channels like oxygen. *sigh* How things have changed....oh, and it cost LESS back then too...for like triple the channels. I miss the History Channel....

Comcast is seriously making my budget conscious family think about switching to Dish Network or canceling altogether. We don't want to pay $100+ for xfinity triple play crap.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I don't watch TV 25% of the time watching is filled with commercials, I think I pass. I'd rather go watch things online and have no ads at all. And I get to watch what I want, when I want. Oh did I mention I don't get ads, just can't emphesize that one enough.

There is also the fact that you can buy netflix, and a lot of other services like that AND your internet connection for about the same price as for cable. So yeah it's not a hard choice at all.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Discovery/TLC/OLN all faced the same changes.You need 999 Thumbs up[/citation]
I know, I loved Discovery too but that was hit the hardest imo, also I forgot to mention Food Network! The bastards actually made another channel called the Cooking channel and moved almost all of the good Food Network stars and their cooking shows to that other channel! Worse part, I have to subscribe to another more expensive package to get that one channel!

I will stop here because I just feel like cursing out uncontrollably.

Fuck you! cable providers I hope you all go out of business due to Netflix and other internet services.

Status
Not open for further replies.