200 Million Android Devices Activated; 550,000 Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
100m in 6 months? That's a hell of a lot o_O

Didn't iOS have about a year and a quarter/third lead on Android in terms of release? As in it was released around June/July '07.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
My last one was "$39.99"/month which = $60.00+/month and I hardly even used the phone! And that is after 15% company discount... sigh.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I couldn't do the contract either. But found Page Plus Cellular. They are a prepaid company that use Verizon's network. For $30/mo, I get 1200 minutes/3000 text/ and 100megs of data. While thats not much, I'm on wifi most of the time and 100 megs is enough to get me email all the time, gps and geocaching from time to time, some product surfing when shopping, and I don't come close to using all my data. Best part is they are BYOD, bring your own device. I started with a new palm pixi plus (can find them for $40 or less new still) at the end of April. Couldn't do everything I needed it to (GPS navigation wouldn't work.) So bought a used LG Ally for $50 in May. That was great and I'd still have it if a friend didn't sell me a Droid 2 Global for $90 2 weeks ago. Sold the Ally for $90 with all the accessories. 3rd phone in less than 7 months. Careful the bug doesn't bite you. But the service works great and if you're okay providing your own tech support and responsible for your own phone, PPC is worth a look. Kittywireless is a great online dealer for them with some very helpful forums if you need more info.

mindless728

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
@wardler depending on where you live you can pick up cheap pre paid service with an android phone, just check the coverage maps first

I'm rocking out Virgin Mobile 25/mon (its now 35) with an Optimus V ($130), root the phone, install custom rom, and you have a good phone on decent for the money ervice

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
June 29, 2007 for the iPhone (first iOS device)
September 20, 2008 (first Android device)

today 250 Million iPhones (not sure how many iOS devices total or if this is actually total iOS devices but I know when Android was at 100 Million devices total the iPhone passed 100 million on it's own.)
200 Million Android devices (this is definitely all device types)

G

The last paragraph is deceiving and just flat out wrong. There are more than just iPhones when it comes to iOS devices... There are not 250 million iPhones activated, there are 250 million iOS devices.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/apple-250-million-ios-devices-sold/

There may be only 1 top of the line iOS phone, but you can still buy the iPhone4 or and sometimes on sales the iPhone3GS + there are iPads and iTouches. It isn't just all iPhones. Android long since surpassed Apple in smartphone numbers.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Most material I have read show that Apple has only activated 200 million devices (iOS iphone/itouch/ipad). It is also very fair to compare Apple to Android because they are direct competitors on both phone/tablet platforms.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
google is still playing catch up despite having multiple partners, numerous devices, flexible prices on their side? that goes to show how powerful (at selling their crap to people) apple is.
google desperately needs a viable ipad/ipad2 competitor.
next year they'll have another competitor - microsoft. microsoft will aim at arm-run tablets. i read a new rumor that they're readying windows 8.0 for smartphones. i dunno how bad win 7.5 is but win 8.0 is probably ms's dark horse (although mobile windows oses have higher chance of fail).
good luck giant data mining storing private information selling corporatons next year! :D

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
250 iOS devices does not mean iPhones. It means iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Apple TVs combined. So yes, Android is competing against more than one device. But it won't matter, in another year or so those Android activations will be greater than iOS devices so we won't see Apple tossing out anymore slides with their device numbers. ;)

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Xyriin: apple only sells 2 kinds of iPhones, 1 kind of iPad and a few iPods. Vs about 30 android phones and 15 good android tablets. Apple makes more money because of its Eco system than any google partnership.

I'm not very impressed with android or Samsung when it comes to support and usability of their products. And for a novice computer user, it's even worse. I get music or photos onto or off my galaxy phone okay... I manually drag and drop. iTunes makes it very easy for avg users.

I won't ever see ICS on my galaxy... Gee thanks google.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Yeah, but they fail to tell you what types of Android activations they are. Fandroids would like people to believe that they comprise Galaxy GS2's, Galaxy Tabs, Droid RAZR's or ASUS Transformers when the fact is most of them are junk devices.

Go and add up the sales numbers for the top Android devices and you come far, far short of that 550,000 per day figure. So it's not really that impressive at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS