20D - Speck of dust on viewfinder

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

There's a speck of dust in the viewfinder of my 20D. It doesn't bother me
that much since it doesn't come out on the images, but it would be nice to
get rid of it. I tried a blower and the corner of a lens cloth on the
outside of the viewfinder, but it appears the speck is somewhere inside. It
changes sharpness if I change the dioptric adjustment.

Is there anything I can do about it?

--
The email address used to post is a spam pit. Contact me at
http://www.derekfountain.org : <a
href="http://www.derekfountain.org/">Derek Fountain</a>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Derek Fountain wrote:

> There's a speck of dust in the viewfinder of my 20D. It doesn't bother me
> that much since it doesn't come out on the images, but it would be nice to
> get rid of it. I tried a blower and the corner of a lens cloth on the
> outside of the viewfinder, but it appears the speck is somewhere inside. It
> changes sharpness if I change the dioptric adjustment.
>
> Is there anything I can do about it?
>

The dust is on the ground glass focusing plate inside the camera.

If you take off the lens and look up you'll see it. The plate also
has the autofocus marks you see etched on it.

Give the plate a couple of puffs with a blower.. Don't touch
it with a cloth or brush or you'll probably wind up with even more
dust.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <4257b7c4$0$883$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net>,
Derek Fountain <nospam@example.com> wrote:
>There's a speck of dust in the viewfinder of my 20D. It doesn't bother me
>that much since it doesn't come out on the images, but it would be nice to
>get rid of it. I tried a blower and the corner of a lens cloth on the
>outside of the viewfinder, but it appears the speck is somewhere inside. It
>changes sharpness if I change the dioptric adjustment.

As has been pointed out, it's on the focus screen. The screen makes a great
collecting point for grunge that's catapulted up there by the mirror, and
the ground nature of the surface means things stick to it.

You can *try* an air blower, but IME, the vast bulk of things that get stuck
to thye focus screen are there for the long term. It might fall off
eventually.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote in message
news:463li2-8v.ln1@narcissus.dyndns.org...
> In article <4257b7c4$0$883$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net>,
> Derek Fountain <nospam@example.com> wrote:
>>There's a speck of dust in the viewfinder of my 20D. It doesn't bother me
>>that much since it doesn't come out on the images, but it would be nice to
>>get rid of it. I tried a blower and the corner of a lens cloth on the
>>outside of the viewfinder, but it appears the speck is somewhere inside.
>>It
>>changes sharpness if I change the dioptric adjustment.
>
> As has been pointed out, it's on the focus screen. The screen makes a
> great
> collecting point for grunge that's catapulted up there by the mirror, and
> the ground nature of the surface means things stick to it.
>
> You can *try* an air blower, but IME, the vast bulk of things that get
> stuck
> to thye focus screen are there for the long term. It might fall off
> eventually.

I had the same problem and managed to flick it off with a fine brush when
the blower did not work.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> The dust is on the ground glass focusing plate inside the camera.
>
> If you take off the lens and look up you'll see it. The plate also
> has the autofocus marks you see etched on it.
>
> Give the plate a couple of puffs with a blower.. Don't touch
> it with a cloth or brush or you'll probably wind up with even more
> dust.

Good call, that's just where it was. One puff and it was gone. I wonder
where it landed... :eek:}

--
The email address used to post is a spam pit. Contact me at
http://www.derekfountain.org : <a
href="http://www.derekfountain.org/">Derek Fountain</a>
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY