$25,900 3D Copier Makes Real Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
There's nothing really new or exciting about this even though they're claiming a "first". 3D printers have been around for at least 10 years now.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
How is this different from a currently existing rapid prototyper? It will also have trouble scanning into recesses in an object so it probably comes out less useful than just using a rapid prototyper that they already have.

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Yeah, additive maching machines, rapid prototpying, 3D printing, whatever you want to call it, has been around for quite some time. All they've done here is add a 3D scanner.....and 3D scanners aren't new either. Like hunter315 said scanning into recesses or areas with shadows will be a limitation.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]Haven't toy makers, 3d-model makers been using this sort of thing for a *long* time now?[/citation]
EXACTLY! This kind of thing has been done for ages. Many rapid prototyping services use this kind of things.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Old news if you "print" it from a computer model, new if you can put in a physical model and it would scan it then print it.

The reason for this is that I took a tour at Walla Walla University at the beginning of this last summer and they had a 3D printer there that could print 3D computer models, but it didn't have the scanning capabilities. Whats cool about the one that I saw was that you could have an object with interlocking gears or something and it would put a hard material between the gears as it printed it so that the gears would not be fused together. After that you would put it into some sort of slightly acidic solution and it would dissolve the in-between object so that the gears could turn freely. It was really cool!

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Frankly guys, I don't understand anything in this news. You create a physical copy of an object using ink and paper? The title isn't helping either: 3D Copier Makes Real Objects. Really? Real Objects! This is the most impressive invention of mankind ever! Stop all research on cloning now. We can copy babies now!

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
My buddy works for a different 3D printer company and there machines will build intricate 3D models with moving parts that function after built. Build a replica car... the wheels rotate and turn and all the mechanicals are identical and function like the real thing in terms of basic movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.