26 Keyboard Shortcuts To Memorize Today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
This is not exactly a "keyboard" shortcut but the reset button on your tower is quite useful too whenever you get a BSOD.

(Applicable to Windows - All versions)

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I tried the keyboard shortcuts for selecting text in OSX (Snow Leopard), and it seems that it is indeed the same as Windows in that it uses Shift and NOT Alt.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
In OSX, it is still Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shit+Tab to switch between browser tabs; Command+Tab switches applications instead of Alt+Tab.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]This is not exactly a "keyboard" shortcut but the reset button on your tower is quite useful too whenever you get a BSOD.(Applicable to Windows - All versions)[/citation]
Yes, but only if you have a desktop you built yourself; pretty much all pre-built retail computers (desktops included) only have a power button and no reset button.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]Lamiel[/nom]I'm surprised they didn't include Ctrl+T (open new tab) in the browser section…[/citation]
And Ctrl+W for closing it.

Hey, when will we be able to edit comments in Forum View on Tom's Guide? We can already do this on Tom's Hardware, so why not here? It would be better if I could have edited my first comment rather than go through and make a separate comment for each thing as I go along, so that I can get them out as I think of them rather than having to remember and wait until the end (and rather than me posting 4 times in a row!!).

aajgb

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks for the tips. This is the first time I found something really useful.
Some of the keyboard shortcuts reminds me of the commands in Wordstar.

dertechie

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Some of these browser ones may be Firefox-specific.

Ctrl-T New Tab
Ctrl-W Close Tab (and close window in many apps)
Ctrl-Shift-T Open last closed tab
Ctrl-Z Undo
Ctrl-Y Redo
Mousewheel-click Opens link as new tab

Ctrl-S Save
Ctrl-O Open
Ctrl-N New
Ctrl-P Print
Ctrl-F Find
F3 Find Again

Ctrl-Shift-Escape Task Manager. You also can't accidentally reboot with it like you can with Ctrl-Alt-Delete

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I use ALT+d in web browsers to get to the address bar quickly. But it doesn't work in IE when windows is in other languages than English.

G

Thanks for this great article here is my useful list

F2 :rename
F5 :refresh

ctrl + f :find
ctrl + o :eek:pen
ctrl + s :save
ctrl + z :undo
ctrl + alt + del :task manager

alt + F4 :close app/window
alt + enter :fullscreen/windowed for games etc.

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
[citation][nom]gstarey66[/nom]Nice idea, but going thru 25+ pages to get the info. PLEASE shoot me.[/citation]

agree, it can be sum in 1 page >_

ihs97

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Gotta bump Windows + E as the greatest quick key of all time. I use it so often, that when I have to switch to a mac at work, I find myself trying to use it to get to my file system. Dang mac doesn't have ANY quick keys to bring up the file system, you have to physically click on the Finder. Really clunky after getting used to Windows + E.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
first comment is more usefull then this article. WTF i tought this is site is for experienced people on PC not newbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.