2GB 4K or 6GB 1080p for video editing?

CardboardComputer

Estimable
Oct 16, 2015
I'm getting a new laptop for video editing and some light gaming and I'm torn between the Acer Predator Helios 300 15" and the Lenovo Yoga 720 15". They both have similar specs except for the screen and graphics card- the Yoga has a 4K UHD display with a 2GB GTX 1050 and the Helios has a 1080p display with a 6GB GTX 1060.

I'd really like the Yoga for its display but I'm not sure if the graphics card is sufficient. What should I get?

Solution
If there's no gaming then a GTX 1050 2GB can easily power a 4K display. (You think 4K TVs have huge video cards? No.) So, it's not like that's an unreasonable combination. Except, I agree that 4K on a smaller screen is not a great idea. You would end up changing the display so everything wouldn't be so small and 4K would be kind of pointless except for watching videos, and even then the small screen would make the higher resolution not much noticeably better than 1080p.

Also, video editing relies mostly on CPU and system RAM.

volkgren

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
If there's no gaming then a GTX 1050 2GB can easily power a 4K display. (You think 4K TVs have huge video cards? No.) So, it's not like that's an unreasonable combination. Except, I agree that 4K on a smaller screen is not a great idea. You would end up changing the display so everything wouldn't be so small and 4K would be kind of pointless except for watching videos, and even then the small screen would make the higher resolution not much noticeably better than 1080p.

Also, video editing relies mostly on CPU and system RAM.

Solution