$3,000 Workstation: CS6, Autodesk, Augmented Reality, and Big Data Processing

Sonotony

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014
I'm revising a previous request for advice based on a some research. I appreciate any thought on my build. I know that some components may be overkill (like power supply), but I want to leave room for upgrading in the near future.

This is for work where I will be creating videos using Efter Effect/Premiere Pro mostly. I also use Autodesk Inventor that completely locks up my 8G Ram Q9300 if anything else is running at the same time. I also use/create automated (bot) software applications running multiple threads in the background while also running statistical software like minitab.

I have just started working with developing Augmented/Virtual Reality applications with devices like Occulus Rift, Epson BT-100 and Google Glass, so a powerful GPU with minimal lag is pretty important.

I plan to OC the rig as fast as I can.
I'm starting with 32GB RAM and will upgrade as soon as I need to.

I am using my SSD as an OS/scratch disk (Adobe people say there is no benefit to a separate scratch disk drive)

I want to set my HD's in a RAID 10 setup (2 Raid 0 with 2 Backups)

I chose the Sapphire over other GPU's because I saw it's tremensously superior performance processing things like Monte Carlo Simulations, which is part of the work I do.

I'm using Windows 8.1 mainly because I want to make sure software I develop is compatable with the latest Windows version. I will also be running various virtual PC's (Win XP, 7, 8, and Mac OS), for software testing and use of software I can't use with Win 8.1)

I don't really see a need for a great DVD/BD drive as most of my work is uploaded to a server. I'll probably pick up a cheap used one on Ebay for $10.

What items do you think are totally off base (extreme overkill) or inappropriate?

What am I missing?

THANKS!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($564.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($475.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($259.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($203.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.40 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.40 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB Video Card ($686.00)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($225.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $3173.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-03 10:22 EDT-0400)

Solution

Depending on the card being used a 2 card SLI setup still won't draw more than 900W. So after putting a hypothetical build in PC Part Picker (whose wattage calculator I find to be more accurate than anything else on the internet) it would estimate the system draw at 698W which is pretty good for a dual card setup with cards of that caliber. A solid 850W like an NZXT Hale 90 or a Seasonic X850 Gold will handle that setup without any problems. The trend is that everything in PCs is going more energy efficient than not so unless you're planning some...

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I would definitely NOT go with a 7970. That card is outdated, and prices way too expensive for its performance. In all honesty I would go for a cheaper MOBO (any basic X79 will do, try the ASUS X79 deluxe) and spend the extra money to get a TITAN BLACK as it will be unbelievably more powerful and have the double precision computing power useful for your applications. Otherwise that all looks very solid. The only thing I would change is just personal preference, I would say try and fine a G.Skill kit of RAM because they are generally slightly cheaper and regarded as better than Crucial.

EDIT: the TITAN BLACKs have 6GB of VRAM as well.

maurelie

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hi,
-You can switch the motherboard with the Asus X79 Deluxe, it is almost $150 cheaper and has almost all the features of the Rampage one
-Also you can switch the Samsung PRO to EVO, it is cheaper and the performance is almost the same.
-Also nice case: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcaarcxlblw
-This PSU will also be more than enough for your system :http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bbefx

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah I agree there, but I am not sure a Titan Black is really needed for AutoCAD purposes. I'd go with a Quaddro K4000 instead. The reason the 7970s are in such demand is because the prices are being driven up because the cards are a favorite with coin miners. Although I'm also wondering if 12TB is really needed as well.

I would do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($564.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme9 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 460 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($171.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($249.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card ($715.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($115.22 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2828.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-03 13:14 EDT-0400)

- You can add as many hard drives as needed
- Better liquid cooler
- Less expensive motherboard
- Less expensive SSD
- You don't need 1050W for a single GPU
- Use this for GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133485

Sonotony

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014
Ok everyone,

I'm down with switching to a Quadro or Titan Black. Probably the latter. VR stuff is graphics intensive and sometimes I extend to multiple monitors. Plus, I just got an Xbox one for my kids and discovered how much I like games... Maybe I'll want to play on my computer at work sometimes too.

I don't think 12 TB is overkill. 2 drives are backup, so it's really only 6TB. I already have 2TB of working files, leaving me with only 4. Most of the big data sets I work with are much too large for a workstation, but I can work with sample files in the 1TB range if I have to.

I like that new case that was recommended, but have heard that it can be a good thing to running a huge PSU at 50% as opposed to a smaller one at 90%

Any recommendations on RAM frequency?

g-unit1111

Distinguished
I'm down with switching to a Quadro or Titan Black. Probably the latter. VR stuff is graphics intensive and sometimes I extend to multiple monitors. Plus, I just got an Xbox one for my kids and discovered how much I like games... Maybe I'll want to play on my computer at work sometimes too.

The Titan Black is more of a consumer card used for most consumer purposes (games, VM, etc). And the Quaddro is more of a commercial industrial card - which is used for rendering, Photoshop, developing, etc.

I like that new case that was recommended, but have heard that it can be a good thing to running a huge PSU at 50% as opposed to a smaller one at 90%

For a single GPU you don't need a 1050W PSU, 750W is what you should be looking at. 1050W is mega overkill.

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013

He also said that he planned on upgrading in the future- maybe it would be a good idea to get a PSU that may be overkill now, but better than buying a whole new one if he were to SLI

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Depending on the card being used a 2 card SLI setup still won't draw more than 900W. So after putting a hypothetical build in PC Part Picker (whose wattage calculator I find to be more accurate than anything else on the internet) it would estimate the system draw at 698W which is pretty good for a dual card setup with cards of that caliber. A solid 850W like an NZXT Hale 90 or a Seasonic X850 Gold will handle that setup without any problems. The trend is that everything in PCs is going more energy efficient than not so unless you're planning some monster 4-card SLI configuration or a crazy custom liquid cooling and lighting setup, you don't need more than 1050W in about 90% of circumstances.

Solution