3 vertical stripes on screen

okrobie

Estimable
Mar 2, 2016
Hi all, I have this HP dv6700, which is running well on Vista, in every way except one. The screen is showing 3 vertical stripes running from top to bottom. They are between 3-5 pixels wide. I tried to take a screen shot to show you what it's like, but the screen shot of the desktop didn't show the stripes. Has anyone got experience with this symptom? Thanks, Jim

Solution
Have you tried updating the drivers? If that does not help, try the following. Turn off the laptop. Connect an external monitor to it and turn the monitor on. Then turn on the laptop. The external monitor should show your screen.

If the lines are still there, then it may well be your graphics card either having loose connections, or it is starting to go. If the problem does not show on the external monitor, then it is probably the laptops monitor directly.

okrobie

Estimable
Mar 2, 2016
After studying several threads with similar problems, I opened the case and cleaned and re-seated the connector to the screen, but it didn't change at all. Thanks for any help. Regards, Jim

Have you tried updating the drivers? If that does not help, try the following. Turn off the laptop. Connect an external monitor to it and turn the monitor on. Then turn on the laptop. The external monitor should show your screen.

If the lines are still there, then it may well be your graphics card either having loose connections, or it is starting to go. If the problem does not show on the external monitor, then it is probably the laptops monitor directly.

Solution