30,000 Free eBooks Available at iPad Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus_i7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]haljordan[/nom]Why would you need to go to the iBookstore when you can download directly from Gutenberg Project?[/citation]

You don't really think Apple would let people download from anywhere other than their own iBookstore, do you?

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Minus_i7[/nom]You don't really think Apple would let people download from anywhere other than their own iBookstore, do you?[/citation]

I suppose it was a silly question; I'm just not "Thinking Different" enough lately...

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]haljordan[/nom]Why would you need to go to the iBookstore when you can download directly from Gutenberg Project?[/citation]
that would require too much thinking for the iphone OS to do.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
LoL at Apple. Will the iPad also support my eletronic mail? Will it be able to play my midis and wavs? Will it, I shudder to think, have a solitare app available at release? What else will the wonderful iPad be able to do that most phones(including iPhones)/laptops/kindles/nooks/etc.. haven't already been able to do since release?

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
300,000 ebooks won't get me to go near any kind of digital drm files.
I love my library and it is up to around 1200 -1300 books.mostly science fiction and world war 2 books and most are 1st editions.
i also own over 150 vintage scifi pulp magazines from the 1930's thru to 1949.
you folks buying digital will kill the real book market and i won't help that process out.
go ahead and buy digital books you can not sell,never are 1st editons, and you really don't even own what you bought.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I cannot think of one single reason as to why a school district or university would purchase iPads for "educational purposes." The day my local school district uses my tax dollars to buy a couple hundred iPads is the day I'm leaving this country.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]300,000 ebooks won't get me to go near any kind of digital drm files.I love my library and it is up to around 1200 -1300 books.mostly science fiction and world war 2 books and most are 1st editions.i also own over 150 vintage scifi pulp magazines from the 1930's thru to 1949.you folks buying digital will kill the real book market and i won't help that process out.go ahead and buy digital books you can not sell,never are 1st editons, and you really don't even own what you bought.[/citation]

No need to be so paranoid man. The demand for physical books will always be there. Do you seriously think that a company like Barnes & Noble would risk releasing an e-reader if it eventually meant closing down all their stores? I plan to buy a Nook when I get the chance, but it will never replace my favorite pastime: the enjoyment of holding a real book in my hands and reading it.

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

Because iBookstore is the application that "plays" the books, not only sells them.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]serkol[/nom]Because iBookstore is the application that "plays" the books, not only sells them.[/citation]

Can't just navigate to Gutenberg Project on the iPad then, by pass iBookstore?

G

how many time we are to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland,
that a gif for the low verry low intelectual rate, every one got them 30 years ago, why no put apple2 simulation on its,
that about te same usufulness....

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]Why would you need to go to the iBookstore when you can download directly from Gutenberg Project?[/citation]

Why would you go book mining at Gutenberg when your ereader app of choice should do it for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.