30GB Zunes Right Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Is this to tell the non zune users or something? any zune user who tried to turn it on would know by now.

wdmso

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Daughter's & Son's Zunes both locked up let the Battery drain, re charged turned them back on no problems total web panic

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
^ :lol:+1

Here is a java code to figure leap years:
Code:
package leapyear;

import java.io.BufferedReader;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.InputStreamReader;
import java.util.Date;
import java.util.GregorianCalendar;

public class Main {

public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {

BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));
        System.out.println("Enter the year you want to check: ");
        int year = Integer.parseInt(in.readLine());

GregorianCalendar calander = new GregorianCalendar();
        calander.setGregorianChange(new Date(Long.MIN_VALUE)); // Sets calander to pure Gregorian calander  See: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/
        if (calander.isLeapYear(year)) {
            System.out.println(" ");
            System.out.println(year + " is a leap year.");
        } 
        else 
        {
            System.out.println(" ");
            System.out.println(year + " is not leap year.");
        }
    }
}

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]DFGum[/nom]Is this to tell the non zune users or something? any zune user who tried to turn it on would know by now.[/citation]

It's just to bug you.

rantarave

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Good thing microsoft doesn't make phones

that would suck on new years trying to call a taxi and not having your phone work! :p

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Actually, it appears that the problem was caused by a third-party, to whom Microsoft outsourced the firmware for the 1st-generation Zunes. Looking over the source code that was used, the problem was that the check to see if it was a leap year left out a critical component: what to do if it was the 366th day of the year. Normally, on non-leap years, the code, when it hit the 366th day, would subtract 365 from the day counter and add one to the year counter. If it was a leap year, it would subtract 366 if the day counter was 367... But if it was 366? Oops, they forgot to handle that contingency. Hence, on midnight, December 31, they all crashed. (midnight as in as soon as it became New Year's Eve, NOT as soon as it became 2009) But when it became January 2nd, the Zunes were able to right themselves, as their day counter was thus 368, and so they wouldn't hit the infinite loop that locked them up.

G

I didn't use my Zune on the 31st, I was busy celebrating New Years.

If it did have this problem, it went away because it works just as good as it always has. One day every 4 years isn't such a big deal to me.

G

In addition, these articles seem pretty negative. I don't like Microsoft that much, but when it comes to my Zune, I couldn't be happier. Hell, they've even provided firmware upgrades that have added features to the Zune.

Sure, it'd be annoying to have to go without it on a day I wanted it, but it's one day out of 4 years (1 day out of 1,461 days) that it will have this problem. I'm happy with the Zune. How much would you like to bet this will be a non-issue by the next leap year?

I'll end by saying please don't get your panties in a bunch. It was an unexpected bug that worked itself out. Big deal.

G

I put my Zune in a freezer, because it stopped working. I took it out a day later, and it was nice, frosty, and working! :D I thought I was a genius... apparently not. D:

G

I wrapped mine in a towel and the next day it was working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.